Where to this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll jump on the Little Cayman bandwagon. So much to see, so many photo ops. And the diving is easy. No big stuff though if thats what you want to see. And nothing much to do other than dive.

if its whalesharks you want, you must try the Philippines. Donsol and Sogod Bay has assured sightings of whalesharks.

Larry, there are several places that I really like. First, Provinciales in the Turks and Caicos has excellent diving. You will see large pelagics (sharks, rays, turtles, possibly mantas and dolphins) as well as reef fish. We dove with Caicos Adventures and they were great. We stayed at the Sands resort and found it to be great. Second, a place I have not dove but am considering this year is Little Cayman, almost everyone that's been there likes the diving. Third, another place we are considering is Curacao. However, both Cayman and Curacao don't have many large fish. Regarding whale sharks, that is really tough unless you go to the Galapagos. We just returned from there and saw 12 whale sharks!!!!!

Regards,

Bill

If anyone is interested in Little Cayman Beach Resort the week of June 14 - 21, I have space available. We are not affiliated with a group, club, scuba shop or travel agency, just a group of older (55 +) divers that like to be catered to on a diving vacation!

Below is the link where I posted the trip. Hope it works!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...s/195805-little-cayman-june-14-21-2008-a.html

Come on and join us, you won't be disappointed!

Carolyn

Larry
I would recommend Bonaire, Curaco for the following reasons.
1. Not too far to fly, you should be able to fly out on Friday night and be in the water before lunch on Saturday, no jet lag, easy connections out of Atlanta, Maimi, texas etc possibly even non stop.
2. Unlimited diving, as much as your dive computer will allow, shore dive twice a day off the house reef at Sand Dollar and most of the resorts, short boat rides to Kline Bonaire, rent a pickup and dive the more remote sites.
3. Fantastic for macro, fair for larger fish.
4. Great conditions for the Mathew and Aaron to get some dives under there belt. If they are into diving you can easily clock up 25 dives in a week.
5. Get a 2 bedroom apartment, but eat out most meals, then you can do everything at your pace rather than be tied into someone else's schedule.

Have a great time where ever you decide to go and post a report with some great pictures. :D

Since I'm off for four months, Carol's been hounding me to plan a warm water trip for this summer. She found an inclusive in Utila that she's into, but we're not limited to that. My interests are obvious. Wide angle and macro, reefs and fish. Love to see Whale Sharks if they're still around.

Our trip timing is pretty restrictive. The whole family's going, so we have to plan around the end of my teaching year (June 13) and my son Matt's finals at Davis (same day). He starts summer session on the 23rd, so June 14-22 it is.

Roatan, Utila, Bonaire? Any thoughts? Favorite resorts or dive outfits? Ups and downs of these and others? We've been to Coz twice, Grand Cayman, Maui twice. Would love to do South Pacific-PI, Fiji, etc., but the Flying times are so long that we'd be down to 3-4 days diving. Matthew is a new diver, about 10 dives past open water. His brother Aaron has about 30 dives and did fine in Coz and the Channel Islands. Carol and I have 300+ dives and are dive cons, training for Instructor certs.

Thanks to all who answered this post. Looks like we'll probably be sticking with the original plan for this year, but you've given us lots of future destinations, including a couple we hadn't thought about. Looking forward to the Bay Islands, and in the future hope to hit all of the above. One we hadn't considered is LaPaz. We might have to make that one of our more local destinations in the near future, since we're west coasters. PI, Fiji, T&C, Bonaire and Little Cayman, as well as possibly Curacao will certainly remain high on our list. Must...get...camera...ready.......:D Doubt I'll have the new one under yet, too many lenses, too little time, but have SP will travel.

What you people thinking? He has newbie divers and likes macro and wide angle. Only one choice, Bonaire.

Hmmmm, there are lots of places for newbie divers besides Bonnaire. Several have been mentioned on this site. The diving is good in Bonnaire but just as good or better at other places. Besides I'm not sure I would take my teenage sons to topless beaches. We stayed at the Plaza and there was a lot of that around (which surprised us because we were not aware of that before we went). Just my two cents.

Cecil....

I second that....

Hammer.....Plaza has a large Dutch clientele, where topless sunbathing is acceptable. The majority of the other resorts do not have topless sunbathing, though if there is that rogue couple of persons, it is not frowned upon. I have found that if there are quite a few American's around, the topless bathers are pretty good about covering up. The only TRUE topless and or bottomless beach on Bonaire is Sorobon and it is a Naturalist beach and provides privacy for its guests with high fences.

Liz

I am not sure your sons would agree with your analysis. :D

I'm not sure I would take my teenage sons to topless beaches. We stayed at the Plaza and there was a lot of that around (which surprised us because we were not aware of that before we went). Just my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom