Which area of Roatan has the best diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlobalArb:
I have to congratulate CoCoView's owners on creating the most persuasive cult I've ever seen!! :) Looks like I need to check it out. Couple of questions:

1) I'm assuming that I won't be comfortable/safe diving the front yard w/o supervision considering the lack of experience?
2) I can't afford computers before we go...I assume all this diving can't be done w/o one safely and I should rent?

THANK YOU!

Dave

1. As soon as you learn where everything is in the front yard you will be as safe as in your own front yard. The DM will take you on the tour for your first check out dive in the front yard plus in orientation they will show you a diagram of where everything is.

2. If you plan on doing multiple dives ( which is mostly the whole reason you go to CCV) a computer would be nice. They have them for rent there or rent from your lds. If you are doing tables it just cuts into your nap time between dives to figure them out. :D

Don't worry you will know the place blindfolded by the time you go home.

parrotheaddiver:
1. As soon as you learn where everything is in the front yard you will be as safe as in your own front yard. The DM will take you on the tour for your first check out dive in the front yard plus in orientation they will show you a diagram of where everything is.

2. If you plan on doing multiple dives ( which is mostly the whole reason you go to CCV) a computer would be nice. They have them for rent there or rent from your lds. If you are doing tables it just cuts into your nap time between dives to figure them out. :D

Don't worry you will know the place blindfolded by the time you go home.

Sorry I'm late to this one! I can only echo what RM and other have said. If anything, CCV is the perfect place for new divers. There is very little current on most of the dive sites and the availablility of the Front Yard is priceless. As PHD said, you'll be thoroughly briefed on navigating the area and will soon be very comfortable on your own. If you feel you need the attention of a DM, all you need to do is ask.

Dee:
If anything, CCV is the perfect place for new divers. There is very little current on most of the dive sites and the availablility of the Front Yard is priceless. .

You're absolutely right about the front yard diving, but, I'm not sure the boat diving at CCV is great for beginner divers. When the trades are blowing the seas are pretty choppy and getting back aboard the boat takes a bit of technique and comfort in the water. Not easy for someone new to water, the sea and just certified in a quarry.

Hank49:
You're absolutely right about the front yard diving, but, I'm not sure the boat diving at CCV is great for beginner divers. When the trades are blowing the seas are pretty choppy and getting back aboard the boat takes a bit of technique and comfort in the water. Not easy for someone new to water, the sea and just certified in a quarry.

CCV is on the calm, South side. Storms come from the North. The prevailing breeze causes 1-1.5 seas on most sunny days. When it is stormy, the North side shuts down and the South Side is the only game in town. That said...

I myself have never used the special ladder that sticks down and underneath the center of the bottom of CCV's boats.

Yes, there are holes in CCV's boats.

Use this center of the boat ladder to climb aboard the boat in the part of the boat that rocks the least.

How could this be hard?

See a picture http://www.allenhost.com/albums/album15/lynn_in_moon_hatch_1.sized.jpg

Not difficult.

GlobalArb you will love CCV. We went for our first trip this past Oct. it was fantastic. My wife and I were both certified last year and while I didn't want to much attention, they attended to my wife as needed perfectly. The DM's are great and friendly and so is the dive shop. My wife did 16 dives while I did 31. The front yard is easy with very little current if any, depth ranges 5ft to 100ft. Most of mine were in the 20 -40ft range.
All we can think about now is how we can go back sooner than Oct. again.

hey guy's & girls....if we don't stop this, the rates are gonna double at CCV...lol..

globalarb, like everyone has said, you'll be sneaking out to do mid night dives by the middle of the week...and the front yard is great wall diving. also, i never once looked out the window (the room or the bar) that i didn't see someone going in for a dive.just ask to go along. it's not a huge resort, you'll know evback.togoeryone by the end of the first day. grab a buddy and go.

Now i'm wanting to go back.....

computers...? we dove with tables and watches for years without getting hurt.
(of course,it's also possible we thought the pain was normal :07: )

but i agree...computers save time and give you time, and doing 4-6 dives a day, may save you a trip to the chamber (chambers suck)

Lastly, JOIN DAN....right now (if you haven't already) it's worth every dime

tom

GlobalArb:
I have to congratulate CoCoView's owners on creating the most persuasive cult I've ever seen!! :) Looks like I need to check it out. Couple of questions:

1) I'm assuming that I won't be comfortable/safe diving the front yard w/o supervision considering the lack of experience?
2) I can't afford computers before we go...I assume all this diving can't be done w/o one safely and I should rent?

THANK YOU!

Dave

RoatanMan:
CCV is on the calm, South side. Storms come from the North. The prevailing breeze causes 1-1.5 seas on most sunny days. When it is stormy, the North side shuts down and the South Side is the only game in town. That said...

Ihttp://www.allenhost.com/albums/album15/lynn_in_moon_hatch_1.sized.jpg[/url]

Not difficult.

Perhaps I was there during a more easterly breeze. (I met you the day you left in May) The seas were definitely bigger than 1-1.5 feet. I would guess more like 3-5 feet with a lot of white caps running side shore and it took some timing to approach the boat. Not hard for one with some experience but a total newb? I loved the center hole. Much easier than the bobbing stern. Hank

Hank49:
Perhaps I was there during a more easterly breeze. (I met you the day you left in May) The seas were definitely bigger than 1-1.5 feet. I would guess more like 3-5 feet with a lot of white caps running side shore and it took some timing to approach the boat. Not hard for one with some experience but a total newb? I loved the center hole. Much easier than the bobbing stern. Hank

I was certified last summer in the bahamas. Loved it and am planning our first diving trip for mid april right now. Trying to get a feel for the different islands online is extremely time consuming. Roaton/Utila seem to fit our parameters for this current trip and this thread has been helpful.

I just wanted to toss in my 2 pesos regarding the difficulty of boarding the boat w/ swells. When we were certified we had to deal w/ significant swells on our second and third days of diving. I took my fins off, grabbed the ladder w/ one hand, handed the fins up, grabbed the ladder w/ the other hand, waited for a swell to lower the ladder, planted my foot, and stood up.

Any newbie like me can handle this. Yes, my gf had a little bit of difficulty, but she took her time, waited for a split second of calmness and followed suit. The dm helped her stand by alievating the weight of the tank. She did just fine.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi

I agree with Roatanman my mention about Utila was meant in fun, i would agree 100% iCCV s the best on Roatan and it has great dive sites.
Hi guys
if you dont mind i would like to jump in here
i am looking for a trip to see the whale sharkes
was told a lady from the turtle inn in belize assures the on a full moon in april or may
but from what i have read utila is the place to be ?
by the sounds of it you are saying to stay in roatan and take the day trip to utila ?
i am an instructor and will have my wife and two kids with me whom are all seasoned divers
i kind of have to watch my cost but want to have a good chance to see them
i also may turn it into a student trip
sounds like may is the best time ?

Hack:
i am looking for a trip to see the whale sharkes
was told a lady from the turtle inn in belize assures the on a full moon in april or may
but from what i have read utila is the place to be ? i kind of have to watch my cost but want to have a good chance to see them .sounds like may is the best time ?

May - June, try the full moon.

Utila is the place for bargains and best potential for whale shark access. Otherwise this quaint island has its limitations- balanced off against it's "Caribbean Back-when" atmosphere.

I would go with the lady from Belize that you mention- if there's a money back "assurance".

Don't go expecting Whale Sharks, just be happy when you see them. Increase your chances, visit and dive often!

Back
Top Bottom