Which area to choose??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking into Indonesia next year but there are so many areas to choose from I can’t decide! I want to do a liveaboard, my preference is to dive all day. I am looking into the Bali-Komodo area, Raja Ampat area, North Sulawesi, Sipadan (which I guess is technically Malaysia). There are so many choices its overwhelming trying to decide!

One thing I have noticed during my research is that most the liveaboards (except the North Sulawesi and Sipadan) only do 3-4 dives a day because they are covering so much ground you dont get as much diving....I see this as a negative since I want to make the most of my trip and prefer 5 dives/day.

I will probably only do a 7 day liveaboard then do a few days land based either diving or sightseeing or both.

Any suggestions? Anyone done a similar trip or been on any of these liveaboards??

Thanks for the info!!

Well, I am planning my fifth or six dive trip to Indonesia, and I have not yet been to Raja Ampat.
Well, I loved Manado in 1995, and people rave about Lembeh.
Otherwise, consider Komodo.
Indonesian DMs recommended West Papua (e. g. Raja Ampat). Alor is getting more popular.
If you love currents (and crowds of manta rays, huge turtle etc.), consider Derawan/Sangalaki/Maratua.
Maybe specify what kind of diving you like.

Liberty01 - I love big stuff, but also love small stuff and healthy coras. What dive operation have you used for Derawan/Sangalaki/Maratua area? What other pluses are there for diving this area?

Did you dive the Lembeh area?

Have you done any liveaboards in Indonesia?

Liveaboards that take in Lembeh Bangka etc are great because you can do walls and see big stuff outside the Strait but inside you will see simply millions of amazing things. Check the North Sulawesi Aggressor or Odyssea I - both Lembeh Liveaboards

Otherwise you can't go far wrong with Komodo Liveaboards or Raja Ampat liveaboards

By the way there are no liveaboards I know of operating around the Sangalaki area. One is due to but not until 2008. Sangalaki resort itself is closed for refurbishement due to re-open as a luxury resort some time early 2008 complete with sea plane from Balikpapan!

Hi,
Please allow me to give some information.

Regarding for LOB in Sangalaki / Derawan area, it is true that there are (almost) no LOB operating around. But I was there almost 3 years ago with a small LOB called SeaDancer, definitely not recommended, near death experience (don't ask!)

Then last May 2007 we also went there again 2 times, first on 12th may 2007 http://www.kapalselam.org/dive_trip/derawan_liveaboard_2007/
and second on 26th may 2007 http://www.kapalselam.org/dive_trip/derawan_2007_reloaded/

That time, we chartered our own boat the SeaSafari III (previously operated by Kararu) www.seasafaricruises.com , make the story short, it was the best LOB boat we ever used for diving.
The catch is that we have to pay for mobilisation cost from Bali to Derawan.

Conclusion: there are a number of local small LOB operating around / near Sangalaki area, but I wont bet my life and comfort using them.
If you are diving in group, then you are better off chartering a good LOB boat from either Bali or Sulawesi, since you will have to pay a lot anyway for resorts and landbased diving in Derawan/Sangalaki/Kakaban area.

Cheers,
Acuan.
www.kapalselam.org
KAPAL SELAM DIVE CLUB

Thanks for all the information.

I am aware of all the LOB in this area. So I guess what I am needing is which area is the better one to dive? A lot of folks really like the Komodo area, several said it was better than some of the others. One plus here is it is easy to get to and we can do a few days in Bali doing land stuff to maximize the trip.

Of of these areas, Komodo, North Sulawesi, Raja Ampat, Sipadan, which are the pros and cons of each? Keep in mind I am an experienced diver and have been on several LOB before.

I dont have unlimited funds and need to keep the cost around 5K.

Thanks again for all the input!

You shouldn't do a LOB in Nth Sulawesi - they visit all the same sites as the land based operations but spew more divers in in one go. I just got back from 6 weeks diving in Bali, LOB in Komodo, Bunaken and Lembeh - I have to say for diving Lembeh was my favourite if you're into Much Diving. A con here though is it has (had in July) its own microclimate which is over cast and not as warm as say Bunaken. I thought the latter was dissapointing - one wall looks the same as the next but it is a place you can squeeze at least 4 dives a day out if not five.

the LOB I did was the Mermaid II, leaving from Bali. We maxed at 4 dives a day. There are distances between sites so it was always a case of hauling anchor and moving. I felt the same as you before hand - give me five a day please I'm only here once - however I found 4 was fine as its tiring enough and they continually stuff you with good food all day. Don't over look Bali for diving. Nusa Penida's Manta Point is great. Tulamben is great, especially if you get in before other divers and there are some nice drifts in Nusa Lembongan.

acj,
5k? as in 5,000 US$? i would say that's almost unlimited budget for a LOB trip here in Indonesia :)
You will have the best with this kind of money..

Cheers,

Where to go first hard one,just pick one and go from there as they are all great areas,lets face it if we could only choose one country to only dive in its got to be Indonesia :D

On liveaboard 4 dives a day is what you want,go up Tulamben to warm up and enjoy 5 or 6 just get a tank and go when you want,lots of great shallow dive :D

I hope next time i head up Tulamben Bodiver13 will meet me up there,maybe sooner than you think. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom