Which BC Fits Better (pics)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not be too concerned about the overly long cummerbund in the trunks or wetsuit configuration. Most cummerbunds also have a Velcro connection that lets you take up on the gross excess to get you into a good working range.

As for the regulator coming back to hit you in the head when the tank runs light several things come to mind. How much of a backpack does that think have? with only one cam strap the cylinder may not be all that stable regardless. Most aluminum cylinders tend to be bottom heavy with thick bases. While the cylinder will become buoyant I'm thinking that it will have a valve up bias. How snug did you have the BC cinched? The upper body should have had a close but not constricting fit. The cummerbund should have been extended before before mating the Velcro. this will feel a little tight when out of the water, but will feel fine once diving. At depth it's the preload that lets the cummerbund compensate for the suit compression at depth. That's the principle of the depth compensating cummerbund.

My biggest concern is where will your weights go? I'm not a proponent of 100% integration to begin with. Secondly since you are in MI with drysuit intents there is a chance that your weight requirement will exceed the capacity of the BC. In the pictures it looks like your hips are lost under the BC so forget about wearing a weight belt comfortably or safely. This can be handled by wearing something like a DUI weight harness below the BC. Be sure to thoroughly consider your weighting plans.

Pete

When on surface, I pulled the cumberband as far as it could go before velcro. I had to readjust the band since pulling it exceeded the velcro (on the large). The whole BC felt nice and snug. At the bottom of the pool, the BC started to feel very loose so I'd pull on the cumberband underwater and again, even after the adjustment, exceeded the velcro available. That's when I was like ***. I tighten it down on the shoulders again and it worked fine until tank started to float. I know I had the tank well secure prior to the dive. There is a picture of the tank on my back, maybe I just had it too high to begin with, even though my head didn't hit it.

This was my first time with a back inflate BC. I had 8 pounds in trim pockets (4 a side) and 4 pounds in the integrated pockets and I belive another 6 pounds on a weight belt on the back of my hips. I was trying to adjust weights to prevent the face down feeling while floating that the surface. With a back inflate and a bouyan tank, it was really pushing me forward. I am thinking about adding a little bit of tank weight to offset the positive bouyancy near the end of the dive.

I agree with weight integration issue for safety. I am not 100% sure why one would want weight integration on a back inflate BC. But again, this is my first one and also my first time figuring out my own weight setup.

I did the unethical practice of asking my LDS even though they were SO much more (I do spend other money there). Even they were up and down about what size I should be in. As for the BPW, I have no idea how to put that together. It also seems to come out pretty expensive. I know I can do a search on that topic, but for now I'm going to stick with the BC.

Getting your own equipment is exciting and frustrating.

Guppie, when it comes to something like a BC you probably should have found the one that you are interested in at a local shop then try it on first for obtaining the best fit. But I see that you already ordered it. Just recently I was in the market for a new wetsuit and went to a few shops and tried them on and what do you know, they all fit just enough different to make me realize that had I ordered on the internet I would have been sadly disappointed. Return it, wait and start all over again looking. Hope you did well !

I did try on a number of BC's long before I decided to buy one. The Excursion was by far the most comfortable one. Only issue was that one LDS told me I was a large, which was the only size he had left, while that second one is the shop that said it could go either way.

I don't know what the BC you are buying is running you, but a full single tank rig from DSS is in the neighborhood of $450.

M size will fit you better, I have similar size and wieght and found out that Large is not my size(Mares and SP) Medium fits me good

I went into an LDS and tried a medium on over a drysuit and it still fits good. Even just a tad more room for expansion if needed. Not much, but some. I then went home and tried it on over a shirt, sweatshirt, coat and another snowboard jacket. Again, fit is good with just a tad more room for expansion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom