Which BCD do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would not trade my Sea Quest Black Diamond (back inflate) for many other BCDs I've seen / tried. It's been in warm Roatan water and lives in the cold temperate British Columbia water with equal ease. From drysuit to 3mm shorty. Integrated weights, lots of dump valves, lots of lift, several D-rings (hefty ones), and comfortable. Down side is .... it doesn't roll up small so traveling with it means it goes in a suitcase (checked bags).

Craig.

I was using a Mares Dragon BC which now spends much of its time hanging in the basement and begging my son to take it diving. I have now been using a Zeagle Express Tech system with 360 30 lbs donut bladder and the ripcord weight control system for over two years both in local cold water and down South. I love it...this is what I am wearing in my avatar.

My GF used to have a Kaila BCD which she sold and replaced it with ...a Zeagle Expess Tech with 35 lbs U shape bladder and the zip pouch weight control system over a year ago. She loves her set-up as well. The Express Tech has a synthetic BP, weighs next to nothing and takes very little place in a dive bag once deflated.

I've not heard of "half and half", but having used all styles over the past 30 years, I know it isn't a horse collar and it isn't a wing, so it can only be describing the wrap-around of a classical (old style) jacket.

I have a KnightHawk and I know that it can't be this: it's a pure back-inflate wing configuration. In fact, I'm just wrapping up a test of its replacement, and my KnightHawk is going to be put up for sale.

For brisk UK diving and some trips, I'd expect that you would want something in the 34+lb lift range, maybe doubles capable, yet still ok with a thin wetsuit too. This might describe what I've just put 20 test dives on, namely a ScubaPro Glide Pro. It's a real jacket, so my "face down" issues with end-of-dive floats with my heavy UW camera are finally just about over, and it is technically doubles-capable, although scubapro's website does a poor job docenting this.

Everyone is going to have their own list of priorities for what is their ideal BC. For me, the end-of-dive surface float is a Safety issue and priority #1. Comfort is somewhat important, but do keep in mind that any thickness of wetsuit will provide some padding for comfort (and the stuff is mostly weightless underwater)...as such for me, key features on the BC itself ccome in at #2, which includes trim pockets and storage pockets (the Glide Pro has huge pockets...my KnightHawk is a bad joke). Personally, I don't use the weight integration (quick release) pockets at all - a std weight belt lets me put my waist weights in the small of my back for better ssurface float trim. If I were to keep my KnightHawk, I'd adapt them for emergency type items, such as a SMB.

Hope this helps...

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom