Which Caribbean Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just a brief bit of history first, I worked a a divemaster for a few years in British Columbia, but when the shop sold I focused on schooling and a new career, which luck would have it had diving included. After 11 years of work diving and no recreational diving I decided it was time to get back into diving that did not have someone nattering in my ear or a specific task that had to be done. So last February I booked a week with Anthony's Key on Roatan and was absolutely floored with what recreational diving could be. So now I want to go back diving again, but for all the travel I have done in my life I have never returned to the same spot twice and I kind of want to keep that going. So I am looking for a resort that can offer me the same as I got at Anthony's Key, namely:
-Unlimited diving (managed 24 dives in 7 days)
-Somewhere I can take the little lady (who is terrified of the underwater environment, and therefore not a diver)
-Reasonably priced

I would love to hear some suggestions. TIA.

What’s the little lady do on land? Is a sandy beach a big deal? Do you want to be near a city, or does rustic seclusion appeal? Is shire diving a big draw, or just boats? Is there an animal that’s important to see (e.g. sharks)?

Taking a non-diver complicates things. Is she cool with you being off diving a lot?

Richard.

COZ if you've not been yet!

This will be a fun thread to monitor and I will certainly chime in with a recommendation. Knowing that you liked Anthony's Key and that you want unlimited diving, which I interpret as "accessible good diving whether day or night" - I have a pretty good idea what you are looking for. First thing I need to know is what are some of the critical criteria to make the Little Lady happy on this dive trip? Also, how much time do you have available for this trip? I am assuming a 1 week trip?

While waiting for some of that criteria, I will give you my .02 cents based strictly on what you have outlined as priorities so far.

In no particular order: Bonaire or Grand Cayman.
If Bonaire, we can give you a long laundry list of places to stay to get your fix.
If Grand Cayman, I think that list is considerably smaller and would be relegated (for me) to places that you can stay and shore dive from.

I took my wife some years back to Grand Cayman on her first ever dive trip and we logged 29 dives in 6 days. That would not have been "conveniently" possible if we were not staying somewhere that had on site and decent shore diving.

The same goes for Bonaire- you can easily dive day and night "24/7" - but for convenience, you'd want to stay somewhere that is waterfront and Bonaire has way more of those places than Grand Cayman does. And apart from the cost of getting there, Bonaire is way less expensive to do that much diving-- if cost is a factor?

People always scoff when they ask for "reasonably priced" and I suggest Grand Cayman - and with good reason - the Caymans are very pricey; but they offer convenience, and good diving, and nice options for non-divers and there are some economies available. Airfare will probably be easier and cheaper than getting to Roatan. Car rental is usually a bargain if you want to rent a car and are willing to drive on the left.

Lodgings, food, and diving can be very pricey on GC but there are a range of options, as @Trailboss123 suggested, staying at a place with onsite shore diving can greatly increase the number of dives and help to reduce the expenses.

See the link below that was recently started by @Dogbowl, she'll be traveling from Toronto is only looking for a short trip (5 days) but the thread may give you some good ideas to start your research.

Easy short trip to warm waters from YYZ?

Last edited:
OK I'll work on breaking this down a little further:

What’s the little lady do on land? Is a sandy beach a big deal? Do you want to be near a city, or does rustic seclusion appeal? Is shire diving a big draw, or just boats? Is there an animal that’s important to see (e.g. sharks)?

Taking a non-diver complicates things. Is she cool with you being off diving a lot?

Richard.

She is quite happy to sit on a sandy beach with a book while I dive my face off all day and some nights. As long as I am there and enjoying myself, she is super easy going with it. Yes, non-divers definitely complicate things, but with her it's a complication that I can definitely live with. I will even skip the occasional dive to go do a little exploring depending on the location.

As for me I like boat diving, being the solo diver, boat diving usually throws you into a group so you have built in partners. As for the marine life, as long as it lives underwater I like it! I enjoy taking pictures of things underwater that other people care to look at, unlike my work photos.

COZ if you've not been yet!

I have contemplated this already, but really know very little about the diving/operations/resorts/etc there.

While waiting for some of that criteria, I will give you my .02 cents based strictly on what you have outlined as priorities so far.

In no particular order: Bonaire or Grand Cayman.
If Bonaire, we can give you a long laundry list of places to stay to get your fix.
If Grand Cayman, I think that list is considerably smaller and would be relegated (for me) to places that you can stay and shore dive from.

I took my wife some years back to Grand Cayman on her first ever dive trip and we logged 29 dives in 6 days. That would not have been "conveniently" possible if we were not staying somewhere that had on site and decent shore diving.

The same goes for Bonaire- you can easily dive day and night "24/7" - but for convenience, you'd want to stay somewhere that is waterfront and Bonaire has way more of those places than Grand Cayman does. And apart from the cost of getting there, Bonaire is way less expensive to do that much diving-- if cost is a factor?

Both of those have been on my list recently (along with Belize). For some reason the cost to fly to Bonaire is sometimes triple the cost to fly to grand Cayman from here! I really liked the convenience of AKR, just show up, put your gear in the locker and show up in the morning to start diving. No setting things up other than adding your name to your boats next dives and ordering meals off the menu!

Yeah, I'm being lazy. I just want to fly there, dive till my ears hurt then get on a plane after drinking my weeks worth in one night after the diving is done...

Grand Occidental on COZ. Hire your own DM or use on site ProDive.....nice resort the wife will enjoy while you get waterlogged. Plenty of similar places as well, this is just one for you to search....speaking of search, use the search function and you'll find all your looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom