Which CO analyzer to get? The Analox EII or the ToxiRAE 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And another thing... I noticed that the Analox O2 meter has an optional sealing cap which screws into the sensor port, and which protects the sensor from O2 exposure when not in use. Supposed to extend the sensor life, I am told. Seeing as how the CO analyzer is built on the same body as the O2 tester, would this plug fit on it also? And is there any benefit to sealing off the sensor on the CO tester when not in use? Woody

Okay, I checked with Analox, and Patti told me that the plug is designed for the O2 analyzer because the tester is continually subjected to oxygen exposure from atmospheric air contact, even while not in use, and this tends to wear the sensor. Keeping it sealed off except during use helps extend sensor life. The CO tester, on the other hand, is usually not exposed to CO while in storage (unless you keep it in the back end of your rusted out Jeep Wrangler with the leaky muffler..:shakehead:) and plugging off the sensor really doesn't change anything. You can do it, but if you keep the unit in some sort of protective case, why bother? Just one more thing to unscrew/disassemble before using your tester. Many thanx to Analox /Patti for the info. Woody

In the event your gear is already set up can you just use the purge valve on your reg to test?

In the event your gear is already set up can you just use the purge valve on your reg to test?

Possibly, never tried it. You can get a rig to plug into your inflator hose to sample the tank, but that is more expense. Really, you just crank the reg off, sample the tank, and put the reg back on. A lot of people I know want to attach the reg themselves anyway, and your boat guy who is changing your tanks for you (if you have one, and in Coz you usually do..) can easily be requested to leave the reg off the new tank. There are those also who like to test the tanks before their rigs get anywhere near them, and get the job done and over with all at once. Unfortunately, unless you are testing all the tanks on the boat, it is hard to know which ones will be yours. Some have come up with various ways of marking the tanks, but... Unless you have problems with CO contamination from the boat engines or whatnot, it is probably just easier to test the tank just before use. YMMV Woody

I don't think so. It's best to test before the boat engine is started, then mark you tank somehow. Don't you get dozens of return address stickers from charities every year?

I like having the BC connection. It uses very little gas compared to opening the tank valve, and is a cinch to check both CO and Oxygen, one after the other.

Back
Top Bottom