Which Company: Quicksilver, Great Adventures, Reef Magic, or Sunlover for day trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swdke

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have a diving opportunity in November and trying to decide between Quicksilver, Great Adventures, Reef Magic, or Sunlover for a day trip and diving. I am traveling with my mother who I want to go out onto the reef, but will not be getting in the water. Therefore, that's why I am choosing between these companies which offer platforms on the reef. As for myself, I wish to go diving and I understand all four of these companies offer diving. So, which of these is the one to take for the best diving? Then, for my mother, she will not be getting in the water and will be viewing the reef from an observation area on the platform and semi-submersibles that they all seem to offer. Therefore, I need to find a company which has a platform on the best reef for viewing the reef and marine life, and best water clarity.

Each company seems to have it's own beneifts. Quicksilver seems to come highly recommened, but the only spend 3 hours on the reef, where as, companies like Reef Magic and Sunlover spend 4 1/2 to 5 hours on the reef. I am assuming more time on the reef is better, but then again, Quicksilver is probably popular for a reason. Great Adventures seems to be a good company too. Maybe I should just go with the company who offers the best lunch, but I don't know who that would be either. I think all in all, I am looking for good clarity in the water, the best reef, the most fish, and an overall great experience for bothe me diving, and my Mom who will be enjoying from the pontoon and semi-submersible.

Can anyone offer suggestions or advice for which to choose? Thank you. Steve

Last edited:
I did my very first dive on Quicksilver all those years ago and I thought it was awesome. Looking back though, I think it was only "awesome" because it was my first dive ever! I didn't really see a lot on the trip (compared to what I see now even in Brisbane).

My mum and brother did not dive and they did the sub thing and I know that they both enjoyed this quite a bit. It was a good trip overall and by memory, the food was really good too.

I haven't done any of the others though so I don't really have a comparison.

Hi Steve

My name is Beau McCormack I have been living and working in Cairns as a diving Instructor & Charter boat operator since 1994. All of these companies are top quality and can all offer you something a little different.
However my wife Amanda & I have been contracting the diving on Reef Magic since September 2007 and it is my personal opinion that Reef magic has by far some of the best dive sites that I have seen on GBR offering Drift & wall dives
If you let me know the date of travel I could organise to personally guide you on your dives. 99.9 % of the time I can show you thousands of large schooling fish including Big EyeTrevaley, Spangled Emperor, Blue Surgon Fish, Snub Nose Darts,Chevron Barracuda,Golden Sweetlip, Many Spotted Sweetlip, White tip Reef Sharks, Grey Reef Sharks, Drummer, Oceanic coral Trout. I can show you 3-4 different species of Clown Fish, we have resident Mouri Wrass that are friendly comming so close to divers and snorkellers that they can pat or kiss them on the lips( my wife offen does) What level are you and what is your experience

Regards
Beau

PS
The food is also good offering a range of salads, Lasagna, Curried chicken & rice ,Prawns ,Sushi
Fruit,Breads etc. The Boat is new only a few months old. The numbers onboard are restricted ensuring more personalised service than other companies. There are also many other activities for the non divers in your party. Steve in all honesty Reef Magig is a very hot product in Cairns .

Good Morning S, is your name a hint that your a swede?

O.K regarding your Pontoon Questions, some things to consider.

Firstly Beau is offering good advice, I know he states that he works for Reef Magic, and offering to personally guide you, well thats great.

I am aware that you have been doing a bit of reading about the 4 operators and having done all of them every year because its my job as an Independant Travel Booking Agent here is a little more that should help with your decision.

Quicksilver is the most expensive as you have discovered and the Biggest. Quicksilver also owns Great Adventures as well. These 2 operators both only offer 3 hours at the reef because of either Port Douglas travel or Green Island stopovers, however if I can break them down independantly for you.

Quicksilver has a beautiful vessell with the ability to carry huge numbers. Earliest start time because of the Port Douglas transfers, however it is a sensational drive up there. If you have another day I suggest we rent you a car and visit. 3 Hours for a diver... far to short.

Great Adventures could be suitable because of the 2 hour stop over on Green Island if considering your Mum, however be aware that GI is a small island with 6 transfers a day carrying again huge numbers. What I have also noticed about Norman Reef is that the coral is not close enough to the pontoon, so if you were hoping to talk your mother into a snorkel I think close to entry is good. Again as a diver 3 hours not enough.

Typically what I will say to all visitors is the following when talking about reef boat operators. They all have good boats, great crews, excellent food, and world standard equipment, however as a diver or snorkeller I am interested about the actual site and what I can expect to see.

Now both Sunlover and Reef Magic both go to Moore Reef however I know that Reef Magic has the better site. For your Mother the coral is there... I mean right there as soon as you pop into the water.

In closing... the Beau information regarding new boat, smaller nbers etc is true, however the site and oportunities to have a fantastic day to share with your Mother whilst saving a bit of money gives it my vote.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask

Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Hi Steve

My name is Beau McCormack I have been living and working in Cairns as a diving Instructor & Charter boat operator since 1994. All of these companies are top quality and can all offer you something a little different.
However my wife Amanda & I have been contracting the diving on Reef Magic since September 2007 and it is my personal opinion that Reef magic has by far some of the best dive sites that I have seen on GBR offering Drift & wall dives
If you let me know the date of travel I could organise to personally guide you on your dives. 99.9 % of the time I can show you thousands of large schooling fish including Big EyeTrevaley, Spangled Emperor, Blue Surgon Fish, Snub Nose Darts,Chevron Barracuda,Golden Sweetlip, Many Spotted Sweetlip, White tip Reef Sharks, Grey Reef Sharks, Drummer, Oceanic coral Trout. I can show you 3-4 different species of Clown Fish, we have resident Mouri Wrass that are friendly comming so close to divers and snorkellers that they can pat or kiss them on the lips( my wife offen does) What level are you and what is your experience

Regards
Beau

Hi Beau,

I just sent you a Personal Message which is actually the same as I am posting here. My name is Steve and I appreciate you replying to my enquiry over deciding which tour company to take to the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns. I have read positive infomation about Reef Magic, but I've not read anything negative on the other operators either.

You indicate you take divers out who take the Reef Magic tour. Am I correct that you are a subcontractor or agent for Reef Magic? You certainly have me sold if you would be my dive guide. I always apprecite good communication with those who would be taking me diving. Glad to read that the Reef Magic goes out to a good dive location. However, as I mentioned in my original enquiry that I posted, I am traveling with my mother and she does not dive, nor will she be getting in the water. Therefore, her experience will be on the plaftorm, and semi submersible. I do understand you work is with the divers, but do you have any thoughts about the quality of time she might have as a non swimmer?

As for my dates, I'll be in Cairns for only three nights from the 23rd of November and departing 26 November. The most likely date we'll be taking the reef tour will be either the 24th or 25th of November. I thougth I'd pick the date with the best weather. Or, do I need to make advanced reservations.

Do you have any information regarding discounts that Reef Magic might offer?

How many dives will we be able to manage, 2, 3? Around that time of the year, how many other divers are there likely to be?

As for myself, I am basically a holiday or resort diver. Meaning, I only get to dive on the few occasions when I get to travel to a destination with an ocean. My last diving experience was in Hawaii in November 2006 where I dived off Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai.

Thanks for responding and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Steve

Regards
Beau

Beau, another question, for the divers who take Reef Magic, do they dive off the Reef Magic platform, or are they taken by a dive boat from the platform to the dive site?

Also, more about my experience, in terms of level, I am not sure how you mean. I am not necessarily a beginner, but nor am I not an expert. As I mentioned before, my dives are not too frequent, and only when I get to visit a warm water destination. I was certified in Hawaii, while on holiday, around 1996, but not sure o the exact year. It's probably on my certification card. At that time I dived Maui, Hawaii, and Oahu. Next three years I took cruises where I dived Aruba, Curaco, St. Thomas, Cabo San Lucas Mexico, Key West Florida, and the Channel Islands California. More recent dives, which are not that recent, was again, Channel Islands California in 2005, (and Hawaii, Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii) again in 2006. So I have a bit of a variety, but it's spread out over quite a few years since around 1996. Deepest I've dived was about 100 feet, and to be honest, I am not too keen on diving that deep.

Good Morning S, is your name a hint that your a swede?

O.K regarding your Pontoon Questions, some things to consider.

Firstly Beau is offering good advice, I know he states that he works for Reef Magic, and offering to personally guide you, well thats great.

I am aware that you have been doing a bit of reading about the 4 operators and having done all of them every year because its my job as an Independant Travel Booking Agent here is a little more that should help with your decision.

Quicksilver is the most expensive as you have discovered and the Biggest. Quicksilver also owns Great Adventures as well. These 2 operators both only offer 3 hours at the reef because of either Port Douglas travel or Green Island stopovers, however if I can break them down independantly for you.

Quicksilver has a beautiful vessell with the ability to carry huge numbers. Earliest start time because of the Port Douglas transfers, however it is a sensational drive up there. If you have another day I suggest we rent you a car and visit. 3 Hours for a diver... far to short.

Great Adventures could be suitable because of the 2 hour stop over on Green Island if considering your Mum, however be aware that GI is a small island with 6 transfers a day carrying again huge numbers. What I have also noticed about Norman Reef is that the coral is not close enough to the pontoon, so if you were hoping to talk your mother into a snorkel I think close to entry is good. Again as a diver 3 hours not enough.

Typically what I will say to all visitors is the following when talking about reef boat operators. They all have good boats, great crews, excellent food, and world standard equipment, however as a diver or snorkeller I am interested about the actual site and what I can expect to see.

Now both Sunlover and Reef Magic both go to Moore Reef however I know that Reef Magic has the better site. For your Mother the coral is there... I mean right there as soon as you pop into the water.

In closing... the Beau information regarding new boat, smaller nbers etc is true, however the site and oportunities to have a fantastic day to share with your Mother whilst saving a bit of money gives it my vote.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask

Cheers Andy

Andrew, thank you for replying to my enquiry about Great Barrier Reef tours. I appreciate your insightful information and help. As you guess, I have been trying to collect information from various message boards and forums to ask about advice for which tour operator to take. Between Quicksilver, Great Adventures, Sunlover, and Reef MAgic, they all seem good, yet all somewhat slighly different too.

As a diver, and as you suggested, my primary focus for myself is to take a dive where I will have water with the best clarity, and the most marine life. However, I am traveling with my Mom and I need to find the best for her too. Plus, it doesn't help with the fact that she will NOT be getting in the water and therefore, her reef experience is limited to above water activities. Since she will only be able to view the reef from both a viewing observatory on the plaform and the semisubmersible or what ever they offer, I need to find a platform where she can hopefully actually see the reef from the observator and hopefully plenty of fish too. I don't know what these observation platforms are like, but I'd hate to find out that she would only see an occasional fish, or only fish that come up for feeding, and gone when there is no feeding. Basically, I am trying to get an impression of what an experience will be like for her. Since I'll be diving, she'll be left on her own, and I am therefore mostly looking for a tour operator which can provide her, a non swimmer, the best experience above the reef.

Reef Magic does sound very nice, and between your recommendation, and Beau's, I may go with them. However, the Great Adventures option with the Green Island visit does add variety for my Mom. However, then again, I realize it's a small island, it may be crowded, and activites limited. So, the 2 hours there could be a good thing, or too much of a good thing if you know what I mean. I do like the fact that Reef Magic spends more time on the reef compared to say, Quicksliver which only offers 3 hours.

We will have a rental car and will be driving up towards Port Douglas, Mossman Gorge, Daintree, and Cape Tribulation. Can you offer or suggest any "Must See" activites or sights. Better yet, I could sure use help with an itinerary on how I can see/visit all of the above in a day. What do I see first, where do I drive next, what not too miss, etc.

Anyhow, thanks again, I appreciate your help. Oh, no I am not Swedish, swdke is just a screen name I use which is a combination of initials and name. My name is Steve and I am from Dayton, Ohio, USA.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom