Which do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a pretty strong assumption for a new diver. I personally hope that a diver with less than 24 dives (if the profile is accurate) is checking fairly frequently until they understand their consumption rate.

Stole my thunder.
One of my peeves w/forums."The big dogs can do it, so I should as well."

Consoles make the most sense for the diving I usually do. If one spearfishes and/or lobsters he/she might not want to stick $500+ computer into a rock hole to pull out a pissed off/wedged/stuck fish or snagged shaft. Besides, I have never found looking down near my stomach to be that big a deal.

There are pros and cons to both, so educate yourself and make a decision based on what makes the most sense for you.

I can't find a wrist mount for it. I found a Sherwood one that said it fits Oceanic Veo 100 models 2006 and later, but will that work for the one I have? It's this wrist mount:

Sherwood Wrist Mount Slimline Gauge/Computer Boot 2406 with reviews at scuba.com

That one should work - the veo 100, 180, 200, 250 and even the newest 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 (as well as the Aeris XR-1 and Xr-2) all share the same dimensions.

One guy's comments do state "I ordered two to move both my wifes and my computers from our consoles to wrists. Oceanic Veo 180 and Sherwood Profile both fit perfectly. "

Consoles make the most sense for the diving I usually do. If one spearfishes and/or lobsters he/she might not want to stick $500+ computer into a rock hole to pull out a pissed off/wedged/stuck fish or snagged shaft. Besides, I have never found looking down near my stomach to be that big a deal.

There are pros and cons to both, so educate yourself and make a decision based on what makes the most sense for you.

I usually wear computer on my wrist. When both hands may be "occupied" (such as for hunting) I wear a console across my chest from left to right clipped off to my right shoulder. I have a short piece of surgical tubing connected to the console and bolt snap. Easy to see with a glance down. The surgical tubing will allow me to roll the console if needed.

This is the way I have rigged my daughter's setup. It allows me to see her RBT and remaining gas with a glance to the side.

That one should work - the veo 100, 180, 200, 250 and even the newest 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 (as well as the Aeris XR-1 and Xr-2) all share the same dimensions.

One guy's comments do state "I ordered two to move both my wifes and my computers from our consoles to wrists. Oceanic Veo 180 and Sherwood Profile both fit perfectly. "

That's awesome! I'll have to order one and next dive I do I'll see if I like it better. If not I can always switch it back. Thanks!

To those who mentioned it, my computer IS air integrated. So a few people said that you can take your current console and turn it into a wrist computer? How can you go about doing that? Sorry, I don't really get it? Is it cheaper than buying a new wrist computer?
I took mine out of my console (brick is the correct term :wink: )
Oceanic makes a wrist mount I used on my VEO200, I didn't like the buckle and converted it into a bungee mount that I can just slip over my arm, wetsuit or drysuit
I like the Oceanic mount because it's as low a profile that you can have with this large computer (I checked a DSS mount and the computer sticks way out of it with no real way of securing it)
as you can see, it's so low it actually sticks out a bit around the button area, but it's secured inside by a pin, overlap on the top, and it fits tight too

Oops .. I see that they have changed the strap now, would make it a bit harder to convert to bungee mounting

It seems most of you prefer the wrist mount rather than console. However, some of the console ones measure your air consumption rate don't they? It seems like this would be great information to have. Especially if it tells you how much you were breathing at certain depths. It seems like that would make it easy to track progress on your breathing and find where you need to work on it.

So my real question is, are people just not interested in that information or does it not matter how much you breathe at certain depths vs total dive?

I started out diving wrist mount. I now have an air integrated cobra and love it. It's not a brick, I have it tucked in my chest strap. I like having all my info in one place, it's easy to take a quick bearing with the compass, and check my air/depth. When I gear up I'm not attaching gauges to my wrist, I just put on my harness and I'm good to go.

Wrist watch on the surface? My cell phone has the time on it, why would I wear a wrist watch.

So my real question is, are people just not interested in that information or does it not matter how much you breathe at certain depths vs total dive?
I get that information (remaining dive time) on my wrist, using a radio transmitter on the regulator first stage. I don't find it particularly useful, but I do like my tank pressure reading on my wrist.

Back
Top Bottom