Which Everflex 5mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kappa22

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all

I'm set to buy a ScubaPro Everflex 5mm after reading many rave reviews online. However I've discovered a few different types/models and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice deciding between them?

1. Old Everflex C-Zip - SCUBAPRO -

2. Old Everflex 5/4mm - Scubapro Everflex 5/4mm Steamer Back Zip

3. 2016 Everflex 5/4 - http://www.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/divewear/wetsuits/products/everflex-75,-54,-32.aspx

I've read C-zip might be warmer compared to the two which have a conventional back zip. Does that have any truth? Are there any other differences ? Is it more or less comfortable ? As durable?

The 2016 model is almost 50% more expensive than the previous two. Are there any significant differences compared to the older models?

Any help would be appreciated.
spro15_mens_everflex_5_4.jpg
sp_everflex5_4_m_cz_f_2071.jpg
evrflx_7_5_m-700x700.jpg

I have and Everflex Steamer that's a 7mil suit. It's a back zip. Not sure about the 5 mil, but mine is pretty tight to get on. Once in the water it's probably the warmest and most comfortable suit I've ever owned. Mine is a 2015 model.

I have EverFlex suits in 3, 5, and 7mm. They are all 2012 or 2013 models that I got as New Old Stock purchases about a year to year and a half ago. They are all back zip and have the same styling as the picture of the chest zip one you posted. And they are all really great!

I used my 5/4 2 weeks ago for a week of diving wrecks off the Outer Banks of NC and it was perfect. 8 dives over 5 days, in water ranging from 70F to 77F and I was toasty the whole time (with no hood, either).

I would go for whichever back zip you can get for cheapest. I have never tried a chest zip. I would just be concerned that they aren't as easy to get in and out of and not as comfortable to peel down and wear while on a surface interval. But, like I said, I've never tried one, so my fears could be totally unfounded. I, personally, would just stick with what I know that works for me.

Thanks for your advice. I went with the 5mm c-zip since it was over 50% off. It is definitely more challenging to get out compared to a back zip, however its not too difficult once you get used to it. It kept me very warm during my recent tip to port st john for the sardine run.

Kappa22: I think you will find that the SP suits will perform well and perhaps more importantly. they will do so for a long long time. Enjoy.

I have a new 5/4 is the bomb --best 5mm i have ever used -- the seals keep water in and warm -- used it in waters as cool as 60f for up to an hour with a hooded vest !

I got the 3/2 steamer - 2016 model (with the zipper at the neck as per bottom picture per OP) and am super happy as well.

The suit runs a bit tight for me but loosens up perfectly under water and is extremely comfortable and, most importantly, warm.

So far, I am pretty happy and dont regret that i spent the 'premium' on the 2016 model compared to the deals on the 2015 models (which i am sure also great).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom