Which fin - Mares Avanti Quattro + or Oceanic Vortex V-16?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

y2nicco

New
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am someone that has always loved the ocean, and have many great memories snorkeling around the world. Up until now, I have always rented or borrowed equipment. However, with a weeklong trip to Oahu coming up, I have decided to buy my own gear. I have done a lot of research and have narrowed my fin selection to two choices - the Mares Avanti Quattro + or the Oceanic Vortex V-16. From what I gather, the latter is good for calm waters and the former is better for dealing with currents. I do not expect to find myself snorkeling too far off shore, nor do I anticipate getting into diving soon.

Do you have any insight on which fins may be a good option to buy? I want a good combination of speed and ease of use. Thank you!

The Quattro is one of the greatest fins ever made.
I have worn them off and on for over 25 years.
However,
I am wondering why you are not considering full foot fins?
Hawaii snorkeling seems like warm water as a general rule.
Do you need to walk atop sharp volcanic rock?

Chug
Recently wore out yet another pair of Mares Quattro's.
Currently using Aqualung Express full foot.

I dive Mares Avanti Quattro. I've demoed many other fins. Keep coming back to the Mares... Don't know what the Mares Avanti Quattro + is like nor Oceanic Vortex V-16 but never liked any split fin I tried. See if you can try before buy. Then you'll know.

I dive Mares Avanti Quattro. I've demoed many other fins. Keep coming back to the Mares... Don't know what the Mares Avanti Quattro + is like nor Oceanic Vortex V-16 but never liked any split fin I tried. See if you can try before buy. Then you'll know.

I find the "Plus" version to be slightly less stiff, I notice they seem to twist a little when frog kicking. YMMV.

The Quattro is one of the greatest fins ever made.
I have worn them off and on for over 25 years.
However,
I am wondering why you are not considering full foot fins?
Hawaii snorkeling seems like warm water as a general rule.
Do you need to walk atop sharp volcanic rock?

Chug
Recently wore out yet another pair of Mares Quattro's.
Currently using Aqualung Express full foot.

I wear between a size 13 and 14 (depending on shoe) and find that full foot isn't comfortable. It's hard to find one in my size as most larger sized find are either sizes 11-12 or 11-13, which puts me on the end of that range, making it tight. I figured I could get a thin (2mm) boot for Hawaii and then a thicker one if I end up using on cold water. It gives me some flexibility for the future!

As to other posters, I've tried both and both are comfortable. I can't demo them though, so that's why I wanted to reach out to you all! I just want to be able to tread water without tiring, if need be, and move with ease!

I wear between a size 13 and 14 (depending on shoe) and find that full foot isn't comfortable. It's hard to find one in my size as most larger sized find are either sizes 11-12 or 11-13, which puts me on the end of that range, making it tight. I figured I could get a thin (2mm) boot for Hawaii and then a thicker one if I end up using on cold water. It gives me some flexibility for the future!

As to other posters, I've tried both and both are comfortable. I can't demo them though, so that's why I wanted to reach out to you all! I just want to be able to tread water without tiring, if need be, and move with ease!

quattros...

Trying the fins in a store will feel one way for fit. Would be good to try them on a dive to evaluate their performance. That's where the personality of the fin comes out...

I love my quattros + and wouldn't change them for anything else for diving. Perfect for frog kick, helicopter turns, etc, and have a lot of power for swimming against currents.

That being said for swimming on the surface, they are too stiff and the blade angle make them horrible for snorkeling. I'd suggest you find something else

Avanti Quatros, my first fins, KILLED my shins when flutter kicking while snorkeling. The Oceanic V6s (not V16s) were wonderful by comparison and weighed almost nothing on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom