Which fins? Other suggestions welcome...and why.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all, got a fin quandary and looking for a little input to help make a choice.

I'm currently diving XL Jet fins, the old style, and I'm using various sorts of neoprene socks or booties.

I have pair of size 13W Altima assault boots or whatever they're called that I would like to use as my dive shoe. I'd use them for everything but mainly for shore dives.

I'm currently looking at XXL Jet fins, old style, or a set of OMS XXL Slipstreams. Will they fit?

Any advice between these two and reasons for your choice or suggestions for other fins.

Thanks.

Safe diving.

The slip streams are much lighter. Others the same paddle category will have various weights and bounancy characteristics.

So are you wanting negative, positive or neutral fins?

Hi all, got a fin quandary and looking for a little input to help make a choice.

I'm currently diving XL Jet fins, the old style, and I'm using various sorts of neoprene socks or booties.

I have pair of size 13W Altima assault boots or whatever they're called that I would like to use as my dive shoe. I'd use them for everything but mainly for shore dives.

I'm currently looking at XXL Jet fins, old style, or a set of OMS XXL Slipstreams. Will they fit?

Any advice between these two and reasons for your choice or suggestions for other fins.

Thanks.

Safe diving.
where in Florida are you? I'd consider the big Deep6 Eddy's as well but you probably need to figure out if you want neutral or heavy fins as that will determine most of the recommendations. For light fins the Eddy's are much better than the slipstreams in my experience, but for heavies you are limited to the Jetfins or Hollis F1's. If you're anywhere near Cave Adventurers or Aqui Watersports they'll have the Deep6 fins to try on but that's the size boot that I wear and the XXL's are legit

Thanks for the reply.

With no wetsuit I find I'm a little foot heavy with jets and booties. Been a while since I've been in a suit so not sure about that trim.

I'm not a perfect trim diver but it would be nice to be maybe a little better when I'm sight seeing and not mucking around on the bottom.

If you’re old school I’d stick with Jets. Just retired my 1978 SP Jets Fins. Replaced with with the Apeks RK3. They’re great.

where in Florida are you? I'd consider the big Deep6 Eddy's as well but you probably need to figure out if you want neutral or heavy fins as that will determine most of the recommendations. For light fins the Eddy's are much better than the slipstreams in my experience, but for heavies you are limited to the Jetfins or Hollis F1's. If you're anywhere near Cave Adventurers or Aqui Watersports they'll have the Deep6 fins to try on but that's the size boot that I wear and the XXL's are legit
In your opinion, what makes the Eddy's better?

In your opinion, what makes the Eddy's better?
they're stiffer so they don't flap around as easily and are better for back-finning and positioning kicks and the foot pocket design gets farther back so you get less point pressure on the balls of your feet during power kicks

they're stiffer so they don't flap around as easily and are better for back-finning and positioning kicks and the foot pocket design gets farther back so you get less point pressure on the balls of your feet during power kicks

For wetsuit deep 6 are the best I've found. For my body they are to light for drysuit.

For wetsuit deep 6 are the best I've found. For my body they are to light for drysuit.
yeah, that's why I threw the F1's one. Heavy Eddy's are supposed to be in final trials around now though which is exciting. It's @LandonL 's birthday this weekend and I just got back from Europe so I have to harass him about that next week.

yeah, that's why I threw the F1's one. Heavy Eddy's are supposed to be in final trials around now though which is exciting. It's @LandonL 's birthday this weekend and I just got back from Europe so I have to harass him about that next week.

Great now I need to get another pair of fins to try, your a bad influence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom