Which fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Hollis F2 fins. Not as heavy as jet fins, not as flimsy and light as others and they travel well. I was a bit floaty in the feet and these really made a difference in many ways including maneuverability. Plus the spring straps are included in the price.

Assuming your dive count is accurate, I'm going to bet that what you feel as "floaty feet" is still relatively "foot down" in the real world. Humans aren't used to being horizontal, so for new divers anything close to horizontal starts to feel like your feet are getting away from you.

That said, you'll be surprised to find how much difference sliding your tank down in the BCD can make in terms of floaty feet.

Hi all, I'm new to diving and about to go on holiday to mexico and plan to take my dive gear, my question is, I currently own a pair of Avanti quatrro fins but when I use them with my boots in warm water my feet become a little floaty, so should I buy a pair of full foot fins to negate the need of the boots??

Welcome to the beautiful world of freedom and liberation! Once you go full-foot you may never want to go back.

Full-foot fins are my favorite piece of dive equipment due to their great inherent performance, comfort, and efficiency, and are well worth the investment for warm water diving where you do not need any exposure protection. My personal all-time favorites are the Mares Avanti Quattro Power. Unmatched performance, but they are big, pricey, and may not be to everyone's taste. Another favorite are the Atomic Full-Foot Split Fins in the original standard compound (NOT the current high energy compound). I'm not sure these are in production anymore, but you can probably still find new back stocks of them around. Excellent performance, light weight, and very low profile, but the foot pocket is stiffer than most. The new Scubapro Seawing Nova Full-Foot and Mares Wave Full-Foot have both received excellent test scores, but I have not personally tried them.

Important qualities to look for in a full-foot fin are fit and comfort, and on that front Mares make just about best foot pockets out there. Might try to test some of these, or at least get fitted, if you have time before your trip. If not, checkout some of the reviews.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited:
I don't like full foot, because you can't walk across anything. Impossible to shore dive. I would look at the Hollis F2 with spring straps. The spring straps are wonderful. Don't know how I ever lived without them!

The only people I've ever known to "floaty" feet had prosthetic limbs. Weighted anklets helped. Can't remember the manufacturer but sure you can find it on one of those dive gear sites. My head hurts, I'm going to the bar....

I'm one of those who prefer fullfoot fins due to the comfort these offer. Mares Avanti Superchanel is my favorite, as they are fairly compact which makes them good for air travels, however if you if you are happy with the Quattro fins then go for for Mares Avanti Quattro Power fullfoot version. For your info the blade of the Superchanel is 37 cm (14.6") against 45 cm (17.7") for the Quattro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom