Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recreational Diver, Diverite Wing Basic Harness. (There is only 1 in our group of 8 who uses anything else, a mix of Diverite, Frog, & Halcyon.)

I have used the single-piece harness totally buck naked (and I do mean naked ... check out my picture gallery) and it was perfectly comfortable. Suffice to say that I barely notice it with 14mm of neoprene on. Definitely give the standard HOG harness a try. It is a bitch to set up but once you have it the way you like it it is a dream.

Single piece webbing with D rings for my BP set-up. Not only is it very simple and quickly adjustable/adaptable but also has very little potential for leaving you stranded due to the breaking of the so called ''deluxe'' plastic accessories and quick disconnects.

Just so you get a different opinion I dive a Dive Rite Transplate Harness because I don't like the simple one piece harness.

Randy

Well I believe we are now 18 to 4 in favor of the HOG. Lets keep em coming if anybody else out there cares to share there opinion :confused:

Alright, I use something other then the traditional 'minimalist' webbing only style.- Been diving my APEX WTX harness for almost 2 years now and love it. It provides creature comfort options and versatility that a single-piece webbing just can't offer. Weight pockets for recreational dives, appropriate drings, crotch strap, user-customizable webbing straps and the ability to use one rig for many situations make it attractive. Sure, its not dir/hog, but so what? Its a solid rig. The Diverite transpac seems similar also. I use the WTX3 for single, and the WTX6R for heavy steels.

Attachments

• wtx_harness.jpg
    wtx_harness.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 87
Hog harness, because I did not like the comfort harness I tried out.

Also it was cheap, I can get it in pink and it can be replaced easy.

Single piece webbing with D rings for my BP set-up. Not only is it very simple and quickly adjustable/adaptable but also has very little potential for leaving you stranded due to the breaking of the so called ''deluxe'' plastic accessories and quick disconnects.

The guys that climb Everest use those very same deluxe plastic quick connects and they don't break there either. Most divemasters all over the world use standard BCs (many from Scubapro) with all plastic buckles and quick connects. After 5K dives they still work. What is the mechanism of them breaking? The only time I have had a problem with dive gear that way is when someone put a tank on my metal weight belt buckle. It was bent so badly it couldn't be used. For fun I did the same thing to a plastic buckle, no problem. If you want to dive BP/wings there are many reasons that you might think they are better but not because plastic buckles break, that is just nonsense.

Bill

I seen a plastic buckle break on a dive boat in FL. Luckily the shops DM on board fixed the guy up. That is when I decided to keep it simple and go with the HOG harness. :D

The only time I have had a problem with dive gear that way is when someone put a tank on my metal weight belt buckle. It was bent so badly it couldn't be used.

Bill...that is not a problem at all...just removed the darn thing and keep diving using a square knot. FYI, my Express Tech came with a plastic belt buckle and I now carry it as spare...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom