Which is Photo Competition Worthy???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to enter a photo, maybe two, in a Resort Photo Comp. Can never judge my own stuff, so what do you think???? Feel free to pick top two. Feel free to comment.

Thanks...

3216206489_1803344bff_o.jpg

3219664927_7d75f9701f_o.jpg

3236668909_de32dc3061_o.jpg

4142273360_fcc9be697f_o.jpg

They are all excellent but my favorite is the pink anemonefish photo with the diver. :)

I like the composition in the first one, but wish the batfish was in the left hand third, swimming into the shot, instead of out of it (yeah, picky, I know). BTW, like the lighting on the batfish.

The sweepers and wobbegong is great ... exotic subject plus activity, good exposure.

Manta shot ... the one on the left is at a real odd angle ... kind of ungainly ... otherwise I like it.

Anemone ... just excellent composition. If only it could have been lit a bit more, and had some punchy color in it. Yeah, picky again ... a real nice shot!

My votes? They're all great ... the second shot, then toss-up between first and last.

Good luck!

I like the first one. but they are all great

btw. whites fusion is also running a photo contest. even if you dont want the suit, go for it, good exposure.

good luck
ww

From a competition standpoint, the woby is IMHO the one that judges will like the best. The anemone is a nice composition but the colors are not up to snuff. There is way too much noise in the Manta pic for a competition print, and the batfish is nicely done but would have been much much better if you could have gotten a sunball above the fan (not enough blue gradient). Sorry to sound so harsh, but take a look at the LAUPS wide angle winners (LAUPS: LAUPS News) for some ideas. Your woby would have been in the top 6, but I am not sure any of the others would have done as well.

One person's opinion.

Bill

I vote for the second photo

As for why, just reread bvanant's post above.

the last one for composition and lighting
and the second one for composition and subject matter
just like bvanant said the second one would be your best bet as the last one is kinda a generic subject.
the angle of the shot was great, but it seems the lighting was flush on the subject.
im thinking that if the lighting were angled a bit it would give more depth and color to the subject. that and a little more sharpness would make it a winner.

just my 2psi though

I like the composition of the woby the most. The bright color of the soft coral is a touch distracting in the top of the photo as the composition is about the woby.
The composition of the Mantas is good but where is the focus, all the subjects are approximately the same size.
The last compositon is good too but the diver almost makes the shot too busy....sorry I feel picky today.
The first comp is great but the negative space should be greater in front of the subject of the batfish.
The lighting is excellent in all except the manta shot. There appears to be a fourth manta growing out of the manta in the top right hand corner, you should clone it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom