Which LDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never seen nor heard of anyone fighting a triggerfish in the red sea. Its really strange. They dont seem so agressive there.

Here, meet the first one :wink:

I've been attacked by a blue, nasty triggerfish in Ras Mohamed. It was in the days I used blue Mares Plana Avanti fins whose size and color apparently pissed off very much a nesting Triggie.

He- it- came after me at a frenzy, bit my fins in berserk attacks, punched holes through them (I have his teeth marks on them :cool2:), and kept nagging at me while I was just trying to back away from his territory. It looked forever until I managed to swim away while fending the crazy fish with my fins..

When I first felt the attack on my fins I was sure it is a shark biting at me- then turned around... to reveal it is only a merely 30cm Triggie :D Imagine what a real big one can make :eyebrow:

Hi Jai Bar!

Funny to hear about an attack from one of the blue ones.... they are suppose to be less agressive according to the books... but u never know, u know!

I really like your avatar photo, I took a photo of this sign aswell, its the rusty one outside the canyon in Dahab right? I had a painter intergrate this sign in a paiting he did of me, its look supacool.

Hi Jai Bar!

its the rusty one outside the canyon in Dahab right?

Yep. It was taken so many years ago (in the early Jurassic era :wink: ) that I don't remember if it was the sign near the Canyon or a little more to the south near a dive site called nowadays Abu Helal.

There used to be there also the remains of fishermen hut where we used to sleep on the coast. It was in the days there were no hotels in Dahab :D

Can you put a photo of the painting you mentioned?

sure!

this is the sign:
Sign_Canyon.JPG
[/IMG]

and here is the painting
Painting.jpg
[/IMG]

Dahab rules.

back from sharm. seen plenty of triggers. most were about 12" and blue something or other. tried kicking off with them but wouldn't attack me! Got a trigger though:

the best 1 is the titan. big fella, koh tao size but didn't care about going a few feet past my buddy who was happily snapping away unaware of how bad his day could become any second

so sadly, no, the red sea is not the easiest place to get a souvenier off a trigger, however the horror stories get shared around the campfires at night of the trigger that bit someones mouth off! Ok then

the biggest danger in the red sea are the divers. happily snapping away in schools of paparazi. finning regs and masks off each other. the other problem are when jumping off the boat. watch my scuba jump bump. Be sure to listen to the music! After the collision i had my tank changed over, all apeared ok, 10 mins into dive at 15m I heard another almighty bang right next to my head. I took a good breath anticipating the worse, got my buddy, checked air etc and got his occy ready, my lpi hose had exploded near the 1st stage. got back to the boat, found out who's landed on me and went off my rocker

another war story to tell in the pub though and i've got the marks on my 2 week old 1st stage to prove it!

Attachments

• bscap0017.jpg
    bscap0017.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 33
  • bscap0022.jpg
    bscap0022.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 28
Ok guys, you have all successfully scared me to death! My husband and I are new divers with only 12 dives under our belts and we're planning a trip to Sharm next August. We've only been diving in the Keys for certification and then onto the Caribbean. These trigger fish attacks don't endear me to wanting to dive in the Red Sea. What do I need to know before diving there?

I have one other question that hopefully some of you can answer. Wanting to stay in a 5* property, I'm looking at the Four Seasons Sharm and the Hyatt Regency Sharm. Any thoughts on either of those dive centers? We have moved recently to Angola from the US and I'm planning this trip for an R&R. Any words of advice are greatly appreciated!

Titan triggers in Sharm are only aggressive during the nesting season, August/September and only then if you stray into it's cone of territory. Most dive guides warn guests and know where the really aggressive ones nest. This year there was one in the Gardens which was a real menace. However I haven't been chased by one for years. Just stay clear.

On last post Four Seasons and Hyatt both have good dive centres - personally prefer Hyatt but Four Seasons a better hotel.

On original post - Camel are right in the centre of Naama, offer Nitrox and if your last dive was within 3/4 months you will be on a boat from day 1. Check out their web site.

Thanks for the reply! I think I've decided on the Four Seasons for the hotel, so I'll hope for the best with the dive center. We won't have been diving for about 8 months, so I guess we'll have to do a refresher check out dive from what I can tell on their dive center website. I think any of them have this requirement.

Can't wait to see a new part of the world!

Back
Top Bottom