Which mask? single, double, 3 or even more windows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John_BME

New
Reaction score
Hey, there. I'm gonna start my scuba diving training soon and mask, fins, boots, and snorkels are on me. But, since I don't have any experience, would you mind commenting on the pros and cons of different models of masks, for example, with regard to the # of windows, volume, etc.

for fins and boots, I have a question about the size. Suppose my boot size is 10, should I buy a pair of fins of 10 or 11? I find wearing socks will increase the shoe size by 1 and wondering if the same rule applies here.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Side window masks will provide a view to the side, but ... it will be a disjointed view from the front view (caused by diffraction) you can get an idea of what I mean by looking at a fish tank from an angle so your looking through the front, and side at the same time .. you can see images of "two" fishes when it really is only one fish.

I like the single window mask as the divider at my nose in two window masks just kinda bugs me

I suggest boots that have a real arch support, as apposed to booties that are flat .. you are much more stable walking, and your carrying a lot of weight, sometimes on rocks, or a moving platform like a boat, also, climbing a boat ladder in boots is easier on your feet .. find your footwear first, then get your fins to fit them

Welcome John. I'm new too and having gone through the same questions I'll give you my recent experience. First, you're asking the same question that me and other did so do some searching and you'll find a lot of opinion in addition to what you get here. More info is better - at least for me.

There are a lot of models, which you've noticed but - fit is king. You'll also want something that doesn't have a lot of volume but it doesn't have to be ultra-low volume. If you wear glasses I'm pretty sure that most of the models that fit prescription lenses are going to be two windows. The side windows, from what I read and noticed in the store trying them on, were more marketing hype than needed. I ended up choosing a two window mask that might seem to have smaller glass, but since it's low volume and sits pretty close to my eyes the angles work out that it has a pretty good range of view.

For fins, basically you want the fin pocket to come up to about where your foot and leg meet. First you'll need to decide on split vs. paddle, and budget. Size will be the easier part, just try them on. Again, you'll find a lot of strong opinion pointing both directions. I opted for paddle as it made more sense for me to pick something that has more suitability to multiple kick types.

Hope this helps,
Good luck.

Welcome John. I'm new too and having gone through the same questions I'll give you my recent experience. First, you're asking the same question that me and other did so do some searching and you'll find a lot of opinion in addition to what you get here. More info is better - at least for me.

There are a lot of models, which you've noticed but - fit is king. You'll also want something that doesn't have a lot of volume but it doesn't have to be ultra-low volume. If you wear glasses I'm pretty sure that most of the models that fit prescription lenses are going to be two windows. The side windows, from what I read and noticed in the store trying them on, were more marketing hype than needed. I ended up choosing a two window mask that might seem to have smaller glass, but since it's low volume and sits pretty close to my eyes the angles work out that it has a pretty good range of view.

For fins, basically you want the fin pocket to come up to about where your foot and leg meet. First you'll need to decide on split vs. paddle, and budget. Size will be the easier part, just try them on. Again, you'll find a lot of strong opinion pointing both directions. I opted for paddle as it made more sense for me to pick something that has more suitability to multiple kick types.

Hope this helps,
Good luck.

All good advice- I agree fit and low volume are the two biggest suggestions I would make. Not to start a debate, but I would also reccomend a black skirt over a clear skirt. Clear skirts are designed to "let the light in" which they do, but have a negative side efffect of decreasing your pupil size . A black skirt shades the eyes, allowing them to dialate more and take in more light, making for better viewing IMHO. Make sure you settle on booties you will be using before you buy fins. When I started, I made this mistake and had to return my fins for a completely different brand. One brand's XLwas not the same as another and I couldn't get the fin I wanted in a size that fit.

Another reason for a black mask skirt - it hides the stuff that leaks out of your know when your squeezing it to equalize. I'm married but that's a serious consideration if your single :D

I always go for a mask with a black skirt as it gives you on plane of vision! Photographers usually want their models to wear clear skirt masks as they picture better in such! Also, clear mask skirts get really crummy as they show up all the black stuff that tends to grow on them in the tropics!
Comfort and fit is the main issue, the same for booties and fins! If they are too tight then you will suffer!

I highly recommend a mask with a nose purge.
It makes clearing you mask as simply as breathing out through your nose.
I have a full beard and never have trouble with my mask.
Only other consideration is comfort and ease of squeezing your nose with gloves on.
As far as gloves go I recommend 5 finger,might be a bit colder but you have much better dexterity manipulating you bcd, cameras, fin straps or assisting you buddy.

No matter what equipment you get most important thing is to dive often.

Your first set of gear will not be your last, and you will learn what works for you as you go.

Happy, safe diving.

jtpwils -

Great reply, with good advice.

John -
As you're just starting out, keep it simple. A low volume, two pane mask. As others have said, your choice of boot will significantly impact your fin size.

Good Luck,
Mike

Buy your boots and fins at the same time. That way you know they'll fit. Or, in the alternative, whichever one you bought first take it with you when you buy they second.

Obviously, you want to try to "get it right" the first time, but aquaknot is spot on when he says your first set of gear won't be your last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom