Which post for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Samir
...beacuse these guys been doing stuff before DIR boys even learned how to walk.
I just finished reading a C++ book by a guy that was born after I started writing software. I learned a lot.

Since when is age the sole measure of expertise?

Roak

Well that's a good question, we were going to travel to Toronto, and head from there to the lakes, on the way to NJ to dive Andria Doria. But I don't have any information on the Lakes?? what's good, what's bad. I would like to see some old wooden wrecks, and some of those big stuff as well.

I just finished reading a C++ book by a guy that was born after I started writing software. I learned a

I was being Sarcastic. So do you call him a stroke then???

Well, most of us use CCR's, the setup's we use is different to what DIR team would use, ( scooters, stages, computers, tables , CCR's , SCR's , OC setups ) , We use helmets in caves which in some Australia caves are a must have, the light systems we use are somewhat different, most cave divers use independent twins ( I use Manifold , much better ), everyone like to depend getting themselfs out of a sticky situation, so most will have redunduncy for this ( depends on what type of dive ). What specific setups you want to know about? personally I don't use CCR, only SCR, so can't answer too many questions on CCR :)

Thanks for the info on contacts, I will try and E.mail him. Thanks mate.

Samir, your post raises more questions than it answers.

First off, DIR doesn't use CCRs or computers, unless you're referring to land-based computers used to cut tables.

Why helmets? What makes your caves so different from the caves in Florida, Mexico and Europe that DIR divers dive successfully without helmets?

You state your light systems are "different" but you don't state in what way. Are they helmet mounted?

Why independents? You think a manifold is much better, why do other folks choose independents over manifolded doubles? Do you dive with buddies that dive independents?

You said "everyone like to depend getting themselves out of a sticky situation, so most will have redundancy for this...” Do you feel that DIR divers DON'T try to solve their problems on their own first? Or that a team approach/your buddy is there to help mindset is somehow a negative?

I'm looking for the WHYs you do things the way you do. There's a "why" behind every nuance of configuration in DIR; I'm looking for the whys of the configuration you chose, not just a list of differences...

Roak

Originally posted by roakey
I'm looking for the WHYs you do things the way you do. There's a "why" behind every nuance of configuration in DIR; I'm looking for the whys of the configuration you chose, not just a list of differences...

Roak

I'm with Roakey on this one... I don't believe in the herd mentality of doing something just cuz someone else did it. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent and capable of analyzing an answer or explanation to see if it makes sense or has some value. That is why I have been looking seriously at the DIR divers. I'm not adapting to their configuration because GI or JJ does it, I am starting to do it because a lot of it makes sense to me. But I am always willing to listen/debate the points of any other method with someone that can answer the 'why' question and defend the position logically.

Dive often, but dive safe

John

First CCR's yes I know that DIR don't use them, and this is why I was saying most of us do use them, and have used them for so long without anyone killing themselfs on them ( in Europe yes there has been a lot of death, but in Australia we had no death on CCR'S ).

Helmets: apart from some regions which have crystal clear water, other places that we dive most have very dirty water ( 1 or 2 Meters ) , very sharp rocks, easy to smack your head nop matter how carefull, also we mount back up lights on them, and I think most wear helmets because of this. Well I do now as well, it makes easier to see when you need both hands to do something. I never had problems with deploying the long hose with teh helmet on, I suppose it's a personal thing really.

Lights, I use a greenforce light whixh is an 18W HID and has a very thin battery pack. I mount it on the inside between the wing and the cylinders, or between the twins, it has a bag that you put the battery pack in. What you find with the Australia cave divers a lot make their own lights, so it varies with shape and sizes, but a lot use canisters, and do hip mount them as well as butt mount them ( nothing new here ) .

Independent twins: the reason they popular over manifolds, a lot of sites require to carry cylinders one by one, but also the older divers have this thing against manifolds, but I love them, and suffer a bit extra carrying the twins myself , but better than independants. You will find more and more people are using them now here , mostly for deep diving that caves.

I have adopted a lot of ideas from DIR setups, I don't knock them down completely, it's just the attitude of DIR divers just wrong. But anyway I hope this gives you a little idea of my setup, let me know what else you would like to know. :):)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom