Which Reel should i choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic_Diver

Scubaboard Enthusiast
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking into Buying a good reel that i can use for Cavern, Intro to Cave, and Small Wreck diving Penetrations of no more than 40-50'.... Is 200' Enough line? and What brand would you reccomend i was looking at some Dive rite or OMS.

There are many good reels on the market and many of us have a favorite or two.

You will need a good quality reel as a beginning. My persl. preference is Dive Rite. I really have found good results with their model 250ft #36 line wreck/primary SideWinder.... http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/ This is an excellent general purpose reel that is almost impossible to 'foul'.....good amount of line and the #36 is a bit heavier and able to take more abbration.

Salvo makes some fine reels also....their 400ft. 'sidewinder' designed unit is a good pick for longer exploration work.

You will also want to pick up a few spools....I like the large hole Dive Rite 140ft. model.....easy to use with heavy neo gloves.

I also saw that Dive rite has an opitional Drag feture it cost a little more... is it worth it?

I also saw that Dive rite has an opitional Drag feture it cost a little more... is it worth it?

Those are designed as I understand for their 'Classic' line only. I like so many divers use my thumb as a drag when using the reel in a guide line situation......of course if the reel is used to shot a bag/SMB tube no need for a drag.

if i buy one (the dive rite S/S snap 250' line #36 line) does it come with the spool and line or just the reel? and is the High Viz line a good idea or should i go with the normal?

if i buy one (the dive rite S/S snap 250' line #36 line) does it come with the spool and line or just the reel? and is the High Viz line a good idea or should i go with the normal?

It comes all ready to use....reel mechanics/line/SS clip.

The Hi-Viz is a personal pick.....I use white line but have no issues with the pretty stuff either.

Thanks i guess Dive rite is my choice than... do you reccomend any websites that sell it for cheaper though?

No offense but the DR reels are not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination. I have seen more than one come apart on a dive and they both bird nest fairly easily and are hard to clear underwater. If you buy one, you will shortly be buying a better one.

There are two approaches:

1. The "I am going to birdnest it and want it to be easy to clear underwater" approach:

Larry Green Reel

Price runs around $130.

This design is very open, very easy to clear if you develop some backlash in it and it is also very easy to operate due to the side handle design which allows good drag control with thumb or fingers. The adjustment screw alsos allows good drag control as well. Side handle designs are also easier to use in general and are more ammenable to use with a back up light in hand.

In the rare case where you really screw it up, ht eline winds nicely around the frame so it will still get you out of a cave with out excessive mess or entanglement.

2. The "I want it as idiot proof/birdnest proof as possible" approach.

Salvo reels

Price runs about the same as the larry green reel at $130 for a Salvo and maybe $170 if it has an "H" on it.

The Salvo/Halcyon design has very tight tolerances to prevent the line from wrapping around the spool. It can be done but it takes superhuman stupidity to do it. And when that happens, you'll need tools to fix it.

400' is fine for a primary. 150' is common for a safety reel and 50' is common on a jump reel. For very minimal pentration a150' jump reel is not a bad choice and would get you through a cavern course. There are a few (not many) caverns/tunnels where a longer line may be beneficial for tiying into the gold line.

Personally I like a 400' primary, a 50' gap reel and a finger spool with 150' of line for my safety "reel".

If you are gonna continue through cavern class into Intro, get a full out primary reel(400'+) as you'll need the extra length(compared to a cavern reel) to get to the gold line in some commonly dived systems.

Cave divers typically use 24# line so they can get the extra length out of the spool.

I agree with DA Aquamaster on his recommendation on reels. The Larry Green/Ralph Hood reels are very easy to fix once jammed and the reeling action is buttery smooth. The Salvo's are harder to jam(no reel is jam proof) and are quite nice as well. I personally have a Salvo, but only because it was more available to me.

I can assemble a Dive Rite primary UW, in surf and surge due to sheer practice out of necessity. Damn things just come apart on me constantly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom