which reg - oh the agony!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again thanks for the replies. I hope to make a decision by this Saturday. Tentatively have a dive planned at Monterey on Feb 8th. I will certainly reply back to this board on my decision and feelings about the reg. I'm not sure if I would be permitted to put a reg into my mouth at the dive shop just to get the feel, but perhaps if I bring a sandwich baggie along with me that will be possible. My selection list in order of preference at the moment is Apeks TX100, MK20/G250, Dacor Viper Tec, and Mares MR12 Voltrex if they are still sold. ... Bob

Sure you can put the reg. in your mouth at the dive shop-but they will probably charge you for doing so!!!!

Just kidding. Of course you can put it in your mouth-that's why they make Listerine!

The only reg. on that list I would actively recommend NOT getting is the Dacor Viper Tec. If you want to look at a Viper look at only the Viper Metal.

I would get the TX100 at DiveInn on the web-I can't give a stronger recommendation for Apeks. You get excellent quality - as you do with ScubaPro- but Apeks costs much less than the ScubaPro, at least online.

DiveInn is the place I bought my Apeks and I have been very happy with it.

I also recommned new cold water divers to look into dry suit diving ASAP. Dry diving is so much more enjoyable. Get the basics down and then get a dry suit. It will be one of your best investments in diving.

I would love to dive Monterey. You are going to have a blast!

Does the TX100 refer to the second stage only or is it the first and second stage? If it is the second stage only, what choices are there on the first stage?...Thanks...Bob :confused:

Bob,

Each Apeks model comes with a "standard" second stage, but like anything else, you can mix and match if you are interested in a particular first/second stage.

The TX-100 consists of a particular first/second stage as shown in the links I provided above. Some techier folks don't like the TX-100 first stage because of the angle that hoses come out of the first stage (at a slight upward angle) and because the first stage port for the primary reg is a non-standard size. For most rec divers who are not diving doubles and who don't change their hoses alot, these issues are minor. I mount my TX-100 first stage upside down to improve my hose routing.....but this is because I have become a little anal about trying to streamline my gear. For most divers these are non-issues.

The TX-40 & 50 are usually sold in the US with the DST first stage. Some of the other first stages are less common here in the US, but I would bet that any Apeks dealer could order them for you. The only reason I can think of for ordering a separate first stage (DS4) for the TX-40/50 would be if you don't like first stage swivels.

If you go to a local shop that is an Apeks dealer, they may give you a better deal on the "standard" first stage/second stage config (since shops typically will give you a better deal on what they have in stock vs. special order items).

Hope this helps.

large_diver...thanks for the detail explanation. And my mama told me that life would be simple and uncomplicated!! ;-0

I just ordered an ATX50/DS4 for $225 from my favorite Apeks supplier. I seriously doubt you can find a better combo for any money, much less for just over $200.

I like the DS4's as they use all standard 3/8" ports. The TX100 and DST have a silly 1/2" port to screw things up a bit. I've sold my TX100 and will sell the DST one of these days for the DS4 first. Also, the DS4's cost less than either the TX100 or the DST, but offers roughly the same performance.

I would recommend the DS4 with a TX50, TX100, ATX50, or ATX200 second. The TX50 and TX100 second stages are virtualy identical, as is the ATX50 and ATX200 seconds. If you know the right supplier, you can save a significant amount of money by buying an octo second rather than a primary (and buy black faceplates). The octo's and primary's are identical except for cost and color of the faceplates.

Good luck.

Mike

It looks like I am now down to four very good regs. The Scubapro S550/S600 with the MK25 first stage - OR - the Apeks TX100 - OR - Atomics B1/Z1 - OR - the Oceanic DX4 Delta 3. Issues now are reliability and comfort (small mouth) plus some unknown emotional factor that will pull me one way or the other. I hate this process...Bob

The TX100 has a smaller mouth piece than some regs I've used, but I don't know it compares to the regs you have there.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom