Which Snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the one from Cressi-Sub with the purge valve, works great at 500ft, and you can breathe upside down.

Since it's all been skin diving up until now I got about 8o hours on the tube last summer in fresh and salt water. The "fancy" snorkels really have 2 distinct features. Some sort of washover protection, usually a baffel system is IMO very worthwhile if you're in any sort of active water. The dry feature that closes of the tube is a nice add-on but you always want to surface like it's not there, once in a while they can be fooled .

The purge valve is also usually in the deal on a better snorkel. What I have found important is that the valve be concealed in some sort of caged recess. Otherwise I have had some where the valve could be over ridden when turning your head quickly. If I happened to be inhaling I'd get a surprise. The caged pocket isolated the supple valve from most of the water force.

I ended up with a Mojave last year and it was a good friend. I'm not sure what I'm going to use for SCUBA diving. I see a lot of shore diving in our future and will probably want one to save gas and for when I don't feel like going on my back during surface swims.

Pete

spectrum:
The purge valve is also usually in the deal on a better snorkel. What I have found important is that the valve be concealed in some sort of caged recess. Otherwise I have had some where the valve could be over ridden when turning your head quickly. If I happened to be inhaling I'd get a surprise. The caged pocket isolated the supple valve from most of the water force.
Ah yes, excellent point. I forgot that a lot of snorkels have their one-way valves rather exposed, while others hide them inside this contraption where it's nigh impossible to get your fingers in and clean out goo.

Yes, when shopping for snorkels, scrutinze protection and serviceability to the purge valve. Thanks spectrum!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom