Whiskey Wreck 8-9-7 Night Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With a meet time of 7PM, I was onsite at Bahama Bobs by 6:20PMish to find cmufieldhockey8 already onsite as well. Amadus and Halftime weren't far behind and it seemed as though everyone would be ready for an early start. It was a bit stormy earlier, but the clouds cleaned up a bit and stuck to the higher altitudes by the time we were ready to dive. Air temps in the upper 80sF, the rain earlier helped cool things down. The gulf was glassy and smooth, and the sandbars were easily visible from the surface. Also noticable were the thick lines of seaweed and algae along the surfline.

Once we hit the water, visibility seemed quite good and the seaweed wasn't nearly as thick past the surfline. Water tempertures were around 80-82F, quite comfortable in a dive skin. Early on in the dive, visibility was a solid 15' with stretchs of 20' in areas. After about an hour of diving, visibility dropped to 10-15' or so, nothing to complain about. There was quite a bit of life out. Pinfish, pigfish, and spadefish were the most prominant schooling fish on the site. Blennies covered the barnacles, damsels, sandfish, kingfish, filefish, flounder, searobins, catfish, and mangroves were also seen around. Couple of rays were onsite, the southern rays and electric skates, some with their own remoras. There were atleast 3 dinner plate sized octopii on the wreck, out in the open and hunting. Amadus and I also witnessed two of them interact(maybe getting it on?). There were also several smaller ones to be seen. A high point for me was spotting another stargazer, crazy looking fish, I don't run across them too often. Jellyfish were present, but not entirely too thick to avoid for the most part.

Sand has washed into the entirety of the inside of the wreck, covering the ballast stones that used to make up its inside bottom. The southside(port) of the hull is nearly completely covered. Sand has also pushed into the East side(stern) section and filled in the rudder to where it connects into the hull. We didn't venture much on the West end, but there is still a few pieces of rubble visible, but not as much as 6 months ago. The northside(starboard) of the wreck is still very much uncovered, maybe a bit more-so than my last dive there in early July.

It was a great dive. Amadus and I ended up with a 2 hour and 7 minute bottom time with a max depth of 14'. The spearfishing bug has also hit Amadus after he knifed 3-4 flounder onsite.

Post dive debriefing took place at Hooters over some wings(or burgers) and coldbeer. Great times with great dive buddies, I can't wait for the next dive!

Thanks for the great report. It sounds like conditions couldn't be better. I'm sorry I missed it. I do hope I can get together with you for the next dive.

Flounder, I need to get down there and get some more. Freezer empty. Thanks for the report.

OK OK here we go... Once again a great dive with superbugman. Having dove the whisky a few times now, I was up for something just a bit different so a night dive entailed. My day started with a short 2hr and 45 min drive to Orange beach. On the way I got trapped in a super downpoor and I thought ohh great all this way for nothing. With-in a few BLOCKS of Bahama Bobs the rain finally let up, whew thank goodness. Glad i showed up early for superbugman and cmufieldhockey8 where already there. I slowly got my gear together as we waited on our fouth party. This gave me time to put in fresh batteries and tie on a chem light or two. By the time i finished Halftime showed up and we all geared up and were ready to hit the water by 7'ish. Lucky for me i had my compass so i became offical wreck finder.. whoohooo lucky me i found it on the first try. The vis was good 10 - 20 feet depending where you were at but all in all good vis. Once again saw lots of life. Im just amazed at the amount of new tings you see with every lap around the wreck, and with a 2 hr and 7 min bottom time we made a few laps lololol. I had 3 favorite parts of this dive 1) the octipii were awsome even the two that were gettin it on was kewl to watch hmm i wounder if that makes me a voyer now?? lol oh well on to # 2) superbugman taught me the fine art of flounder knife stickin, wow once i got my first one i was on a mission. we ended up with 3 nice flounder. last but not least was highlight #3.... and that would be Superbugmans H.I.D canister light... All i can say is WOW i need one of them. even with 4 fresh D size batteries in my dive light that HID was no comparison. Youd of thought i was diving with a candle next to the sun that Superbugman was carring around. Definatly getting one of those.. After we hit the 2 hour mark of dive time we deceided to call it a night and head back to shore. Gear stowed and Off to the local watering hole for a dive debriefing dinner and beer. All in all another Great dive . Thanks to all that went it was a pleasure dive'in with everyone.
Oh ya I cant forget ....... after searching the internet for info on cleaning the flounder that i caught they turned into a great dinner of stuffed spinach flounder rolls with a mild cream cheese sauce.. THanks Matt i owe ya the fish were awsome.

Glad you enjoyed em.

If you have any interest in fileting them, bring a good filet knife next time and I'll demonstrate :D

Allready placed orders for parts to build my own. hehe HID here I come.

MAtt.. I got directions off the net on how to filet them, pics and all.. Now i just need to get a good filetknife. But thanks for the offer.

Or, instead of filets, simply cut off heads and remove entrails. Cut a slice on brown side to make a little pocket. Fill the little pocket with crab stuffing and bake at 450 for about 45 minutes. Very tasty.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom