Whites Polar Flex2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering purchasing a Whites Polar Flex 2 from a LDS. I am able to get a good deal on it since it was a pre ordered that did not seel. It will be my first dry suit.

Question is, how does this suit compare to some of the cheaper suits such as the Whites Nexus etc. Any help would be appreciated

HI jg:

The polar flex 11 drysuit is considered a hybred & also a outstanding drysuit. As the old saying goes, "quote" You get what you paid for.

I have this suit and find that the quality & construction is outstanding. Sincerly by looking at all the drysuits' that White's half to offer, I have not seen any poor quality.

I had to go with a custom fit and i'am 100% happy with this suit. The price for a custom compared to a DUI is way below the price of its competator. Same quality!
You won't go wrong with this one.

good luck & good diving:

Sam

Thanks Garfish for the reply. Your opinion helps alot.I am going to purchase it.

Gary

hi gary:

No problem. Glad that i could help & hope you got a good deal.
Let us know how you like it.

safe diving.

Garfish, I was quite interested in one of these after I saw the owner of a local LDS with it and got to handle it. Did you happen to get the package deal with the undergarments or know anything about them?

It is listed on the Whites website that the package deal won't be available until Sept 15, 2004. Not to say stores won't be able to sell before then though.

http://www.whitesdiving.com/index.php?id=42&cid=157

I haven't priced this suit out yet myself. What advantages does it offer over a standard shell? I guess the 2mm legs are more durable? Maybe more flexible?

You're quite right. My curiosity was more about the garments that come with the package deal. I assume these packaged garments are the same ones they have been selling separately for some time so I figured several out there have tried them and could comment. I was trying to figure out how they compare with the usual 100, 200, 300, 400 gram thinsulate that seems to be common in DUI-speak. The garments are made of "fleece," though, so they would require more lofting than Thinsulate.

White's doesn't seem to keep their web site updated very well, as I see no mention of the Polar Flex 2 that's in their latest catalogue. One LDS quoted me $740 for a Polarflex package and they'd throw in a drysuit course for free.

The advantage over the shell is that the bottom half is made out of their crushed neoprene, which is supposedly much more durable. It seems to be a competitor to DUI's FLX 50/50. From what I can tell, the legs seem to be the most prone for wear & tear and some of the first extremities to start cooling off - that's where the durable/warmer crushed neoprene comes in handy. The top half is (supposedly) not as subjected to that sort of abuse (wearing BC/harness/etc) so they made it out of shell material to allow for more flexibility. At least this is what I assume.

I don't see why stores couldn't presell these, the parts are already available separately, and it takes 4-6 weeks to get the suit anyway. The package is just a marketing thing to entice potential new customers based on savings. One thing I noticed is that the package suit only comes with the 2mil bottom and quadflex top. I'd prefer the 4mil bottoms since most of my diving will be in 45-55 degree water. I'm not sure if the quadflex or the bi-lam would prove to be more durable around our local wrecks(?)

I wonder if anyone has tried the COM 10 suit.. that looks like a warmer version of the DUI CF200

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom