whites thermal fusion versus fourth element arctic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a little heavier at 6' and 205lbs, and dive a fusion tech with TF undergarments, but went with the XXL/XXL, even though that was on the bubble of the sizing chart I'm glad I went with the bigger size. The best solution I've found for reaching valves is to dive sidemount :)

I dive a Whites Fusion Tech with the thermal fusion undergarment plus underarmour sweat wicking layer in South Vancouver Island and noticed I have restricted mobility when trying to reach my doubles valves.

It seems my drysuit is too small for the type of undergarment I am using. I did a test using some much lighter layered clothing from my closet and had no problem whatsoever reaching my valves despite being much colder after an hour dive in 45 degree water (too cold). My question is this....Is the Fourth Element Arctic significantly thinner than the whites thermal fusion? Is it warm enough (I don't tend to get as cold as others as quickly as others)?

My dives tend to be 50-70 minutes long and at fairly recreational depths (no deeper than 100 feet).

Any input would be appreciated...my goal is to not replace my drysuit however realize I may have to...

Are you doing "the wiggle" ? I have a pretty similar setup, Whites Fusion Sport with Thermal Fusion, Under Armour, and a Santi heated vest in addition to that that also adds some bulk. I am 6 feet 200 lbs. My suits is sized L/XL, I'm somewhere around the boundary for my size. I used to have really hard time reaching valves, I no longer do. The key is to stretch really well while lying flat in the water with the suit inflated at the beginning of the dive, to do some shoulder motion to help the fabric stretch, and to help ride the tanks a bit higher on your back, so that you can feel the manifold touching the back of your head. You also have to be in good trim while trying to reach the valves, with back arched, knees up, and head up, looking into your buddy's eyes during the drill. Finally, you shouldn't shrink-wrap yourself too much. That did it for me, even though I'm similar size as you, and I've had a broken shoulder 8 or so months ago that I'm still recovering from.

Wow...go away for a few days and there are a bunch of great replies :) I'll try that on Saturday Lynn - I haven't heard that tip before!

---------- Post added July 7th, 2015 at 09:02 PM ----------

I do the wiggle but likely don't spend as much time getting everything as perfect as I should while doing it and seem to lose it as soon as I go upright again...I'll try to spend a bit more time at it next time in the water. Great to hear someone diving the same suit, undergarment (plus) with similar dimensions can get to them.

seem to lose it as soon as I go upright again...

How is your trim? What appears to work for me is to keep swimming with the manifold constantly drilling a hole in the back of my head. When I no longer feel the manifold, I begin to worry.

Back
Top Bottom