Who is the Apple of the scuba world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon was the first name to come to mind for me too.

I'm the among the biggest Halcyon fans around, and will concede that maybe there's a parallel to Apple in that H users are ferociously loyal and willing to pay a significant premium for a modestly superior brand, but that doesn't make them the "Apple" of scuba. Perhaps the Rolex or Lexus of scuba, but again, unlike Apple, Halcyon has never delivered a game changer. What's Halcyon's "i-Pod"?

C'mon folks. Apple has changed the way the world consumes/stores/distributes/listens to music. No mean feat. Re-badging existing reg designs or retrofitting the infinity system on completely commoditized product like a BP? Please!

Why can't there be a Linux of the scuba world? I want free gear that generally works, but needs a lot of tinkering to get right.

And as an aside, the Apple of the scuba world will be the first to create proprietary connectors for their tank valves, LP and HP hoses and inflation connections, that can't be used easily with any other brand's gear, and won't work if you hold it wrong :D

(as for my gear, Apeks regs all the way!)

If by "Apple of the scuba world" you mean over priced and low market share, then I would have to agree on Halcyon. :D Just kidding...just kidding...Halcyon puts out excellent gear, but man are they expensive.

Back to a more affordable "Apple", I would go with Scubapro. They've been around a long time, produce very durable gear, and have excellent warranties. Also, for the lovers of Halcyon, Scubapro makes their new line of regs, so that's another feather in SP's hat if Halcyon went that route instead of their own design (BTW, Halcyon and SP are owned by the same parent company). Also, there's a relatively "new" player on the market...Sub Gear. They are basically Scubapro at a lower price point, and without the extensive warranties.

I'd vote for Halcyon and Atomic.

(BTW, Halcyon and SP are owned by the same parent company).

You may want to check your source on that one...

Either that's a very recent development, or the "parent company" is keeping that tidbit to themselves.

Johnson Outdoors

Back to a more affordable "Apple Also, for the lovers of Halcyon, Scubapro makes their new line of regs, so that's another feather in SP's hat if Halcyon went that route instead of their own design (BTW, Halcyon and SP are owned by the same parent company).

Halcyon DID go that route. Take a look at the new H regs and compare them to the Scubapro line. :wink:

I didn't know that the two are owned by the same parent company. However, look at some of the Dive Rite regs and compare them to the Scubapro regs as well. Mucho similarities.:eyebrow:

LOL when I saw the apple part, I was thinking over priced, never discounted, can get something from someone else that works just as well for less of a price, but has an almost cult like following.... :eyebrow:

Halcyon DID go that route. Take a look at the new H regs and compare them to the Scubapro line. :wink:

I didn't know that the two are owned by the same parent company. However, look at some of the Dive Rite regs and compare them to the Scubapro regs as well. Mucho similarities.:eyebrow:

Every piston reg is "mucho similar" to every piston reg, as is every diaphragm reg similar to every other diaphragm reg...

And as an aside, the Apple of the scuba world will be the first to create proprietary connectors for their tank valves, LP and HP hoses and inflation connections, that can't be used easily with any other brand's gear, and won't work if you hold it wrong :D

Exactly why I'm so glad there isn't an apple of the scuba world.

Halcyon and Scubapro are not owned by the same company.

SP is owned by Johnson Outdoors, Halcyon is owned by...Halcyon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom