Who's got the mother of all beers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monteiths Original Ale - Nice hoppy beer
Tui - Pale Ale, great for drinking vast quantity's
Youngs Special London Ale - at 7% alc, that speaks for itself. Half a dozen of those baby's and your really geared up to hit the town

Azza:
Youngs Special London Ale - at 7% alc, that speaks for itself. Half a dozen of those baby's and your really geared up to hit the town

yeah baby

Another choice at 4.7% is Fullers London Pride a bit more drinkable in quantity

Had to go to Brussels recently on a business trip. Looked it up on the web and found "Brussels - City of Lace", and thought: "this looks bad". Then I found another site that said: "Brussels - City of Beer" and thought:"things are looking up". While there, on expense account, I used to wonder into an intresting little resturant and ask them to bring me their best dish, and best beer. They liked that.

Duval is good, but my favorite, in all its forms, was Leffe. I can taste it now...

Noticed earlier in the thread someone knocking Bintang and was a bit surprized, as there are plenty of much worse beers in the world. Bintang, by the way, in made by the former Heiniken brewery that was nationalized. They kept the star from the label and named the beer after it (bintang is star in Indonesian), and the beer still tastes like Heiniken, almost.

Other perfect beers? Guiness in Ireland, and ice cold Corona at noon on the beach in Mexico with a fish taco. They sell Corona here as an import, but it travels poorly.

Cheers, Tim

Not really a beer drinker, but I have found one brew I quite liked..

Tusker, in Vanuatu. It's their local brew, and it ain't half bad, and it's cheap!!!

Z...

Well it's got to be Belgium. A lot of people seem to be plumping for Duval. It's probably one of the most exported Belgian beers in that class but my personal favorite is a similar one called Brigande. It has a blue label with a picture of the monks on the bottle and apart from in Belgium itself I've only ever seen it for sale in Holland - but again quite close to the Belgian border.

Many years ago I went on holiday in Cornwall (SW England) and came across a very small local brewery called Viking. I think they supplied two or three pubs only. They made a lager that was by far the best that I have ever tasted - and believe me, I've tasted one or two! :wink:

IMO, Germany easily has the best beer - and all those folks above who have mentioned that you can't judge German beer by the stuff that is exported are right on the money. In Germany the best beer is local beer. For almost three years I lived within walking distance of two breweries. Life was rough :). My vote for best beer goes to fresh Hefe-Weizen - anything from Bavaria is pretty safe, but my personal favorite is Wurzberger Hofbrau (brewed just a few blocks from my old apartment).

Jackie

Another vote for Belgium and another vote for Duvel.

Funny that there aren't more votes for Guinness. I think on the whole I like Duvel better but a good Guinness is like drinking velvet.

R..

Yes Diver0001. But what makes life wonderful is that we can enjoy them all! Sometimes, on Sunday morning, I like to take the boat out to an island an hour and a half off shore. As soon as I arrive I grab a tank and roll off the dock for a long, slow visit. After sucking the tank dry I surface for a quick break, and repeat, sometimes twice! Once I was on the island for six hours, and underwater for four and a half. Anyway, when I finally come up, I go to the resturant built over the shallows, put my feet up on the rail, and enjoy an ice cold Bintang, very much. I'd rather have a Leffe, but at the time and place, the Bintang is adequate, even excellent, and I sometimes have another on the ride back to the port.

Life is fine.... Tim

meisburger:
Once I was on the island for six hours, and underwater for four and a half.

Sounds like someone's shortchanging their SI's :eyebrow:

I'm not much of a beer drinker (although I was in my younger daze) ... and I haven't been to Belgium to taste their wonderful brews. On those few occasions when I drink alcoholic beverage, it's usually an ale made at one or another of our local northwest microbreweries.

With those caveats, the best beer I ever tasted was in Beijing. I have no idea what kind it was ... I couldn't read the label. But it was a local brew.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom