Who's seen "Coral Reef Adventure"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill once bubbled...
Saw it in San Diego a few months ago and was less than impressed. It was the first IMAX film I'd ever seen (no theaters on Catalina) and I was disappointed.

The topside story about saving the reef was, IMHO, contrived and not well done. The segment on the deep dives and the DCS hit really took away from what I had hoped would be a focus on the marine life itself.

I've dived in all the areas the film covered and expected to see a lot more footage of the marine life. While the story line may have been good, especially for the non-diving audience, it took too much away from what I really had hoped to see. Besides, if the viewing public "gets" the message as poorly as they did with "Finding Nemo" (clownfish sales up 400%), it may have been a wasted effort.

Your mileage may vary.

Dr. Bill

I agree with just about everything you said drbill. But, I think the message will be received moreso than Finding Nemo. Coral Reef Adventure was far more in your face with its message (very preachy), where Finding Nemo was just entertainment (I liked F.N. a lot btw).

I think Coral Reef Adventure definitely had a non-diving audience in mind, which is fine I guess since the non-diving community is where the message needs to be. Most divers are far more aware of the importance of coral reefs to the planet, and the dammage that is done to them.

I did like the drift diving with the grey reef sharks a lot... that current was amazing.

Later,
-Joe

Rock Inman- As someone who has worked with Jean-Michel off-and-on since the mid-70's, I don't think you give him enough credit. There are a lot of good things he's involved in, mainly educational in nature, that do not get much publicity. Sure the resort gets a fair bit of attention, but that is not his only involvement by a long shot. Of course with the economy and travel industry being what it is these days, he probably can use the advertisement. There';s good diving to be had there- I got a chance to dive at the resort two years ago when I was in Fiji.

I've also known Dick Muphy, his science/education VP, for even longer and Murf is a good guy.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
Rock Inman- As someone who has worked with Jean-Michel off-and-on since the mid-70's, I don't think you give him enough credit. There are a lot of good things he's involved in, mainly educational in nature, that do not get much publicity. Sure the resort gets a fair bit of attention, but that is not his only involvement by a long shot. Of course with the economy and travel industry being what it is these days, he probably can use the advertisement. There';s good diving to be had there- I got a chance to dive at the resort two years ago when I was in Fiji.

I've also known Dick Muphy, his science/education VP, for even longer and Murf is a good guy.

Dr. Bill

You know him, I don't. I'm sure you are right. The funny thing is, I do video editing for a living and know good and well that how someone is presented on film/video may have no relationship to reality.
I take it all back and promise not to say anything else stupid for the next sixteen seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom