Question Why are felt soled booties not more widely used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In Okinawa, felt soled booties are the norm because of the petrified coral walk through the surf zone that characterizes shore dives, and the stone fish widespread in the area. There are exceptionally few shops that sell standard thin rubber soled booties on the entire island. The flip side is my stateside experience where I literally NEVER saw a single set of them for sale in a dive shop.

After diving them for a full year now, my question is “why aren’t they more widely used??”

Aside from protecting from stonefish spines, they provide exceptional steady footing on wet boat decks and ladders. They slip significantly less than rubber soled booties on slippery rocks in the surf zone. I love these booties to death.

Is there a downside to felt-soles I’m missing? Why aren’t they the norm globally?

Attachments

• 24A8EDB1-659B-4AB0-85A3-E22F43D8C12D.jpeg
    24A8EDB1-659B-4AB0-85A3-E22F43D8C12D.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 110
That's pretty wild,,,I have never seen those sold in any USA dive shop I've visited.
Thanks for posting the picture !!

Reactions: OTF
What's the advantage of felt vs a thicker rubber sole? Is it better at deflecting spines?

No idea with diving, but felt soles were widely used by wading fishermen for decades (trout stream fishermen). They give better traction on slime covered rocks. They have fallen by the wayside because of the ability of them to retain bad stuff in the felt transferring it to other water bodies. I could see it a big "no-no" with the current coral disease issue in the Caribbean.

For warmer water I use socks and Altima boots or my chuck’s.

What's the advantage of felt vs a thicker rubber sole? Is it better at deflecting spines?
They act really similarly to a dart board. The felt kinda hugs the spines where a rubber soled boot would have to be thick like a skateboard shoe or military boot to stop the spine from penetrating.

No idea with diving, but felt soles were widely used by wading fishermen for decades (trout stream fishermen). They give better traction on slime covered rocks. They have fallen by the wayside because of the ability of them to retain bad stuff in the felt transferring it to other water bodies. I could see it a big "no-no" with the current coral disease issue in the Caribbean.
Oh man! I hadn’t thought about that. That’s actually a really good consideration.

Probably a good reason to ditch them for a new pair when I leave the island.

Back
Top Bottom