Question Why are felt soled booties not more widely used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are used by shallow water workers all over the globe, great for walking on slimy surfaces.
They look like they would excell at that, I may have to find some for ramp at Lobos.

Felt soled booties are fairly popular in Hawaii because they are not very slippery on lava. I own a pair an use them sometimes. The downside for a traveler is that it takes forever to dry such booties even in direct hot sun.

But fishing wader boots are often felt soled. So it is known to work in the states.

Felt soled booties are fairly popular in Hawaii because they are not very slippery on lava. I own a pair an use them sometimes. The downside for a traveler is that it takes forever to dry such booties even in direct hot sun.
They definitely do. Even hanging them so water drains out the cuff they take a full day to dry out

they are standard booties with a polyester needle punched felt on the bottom, similar to cheap tennis balls or wheel well liners in most modern cars. Easy enough to use some spray adhesive to add to bottom of standard booties.

Downsides is they take forever and a day to dry out completely, and if you are walking on rocky shorelines they will wear through fairly quickly. All about prioritize what you are trying to protect against.

I've had them. Fine for non-slip, but for the sharp-edged coral in places like Bonaire, I prefer heavy rubber soles...more comfortable for walking on the rubble.

The answer is because they're slippery as heck on fiberglass decks. Nothing beats them for slick rock however.

The answer is because they're slippery as heck on fiberglass decks. Nothing beats them for slick rock however.
How are they slippery on fiberglass? I might not be dialed in on the differences but they feel like I’m damn aquatic Spider-Man on gloss painted wood. Even on rolling seas

How are they slippery on fiberglass? I might not be dialed in on the differences but they feel like I’m damn aquatic Spider-Man on gloss painted wood. Even on rolling seas
I dunno the physics, except that fiberglass is pretty slick, especially when wet, unless perhaps awl-grip coated. I only use felt sole boots in Hawaii, motivated by shore diving experience, but the times I've gone boat diving there, it's been a challenge to stay on my feet without paying close attention.

But fishing wader boots are often felt soled. So it is known to work in the states.
They've been banned in a few states. I've used both and there are a few really grippy hard sole boots, like rock boots. I always buy boots that drain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom