Why are OW Cert dives over 2 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were recently certified at Catalina (Emerald Bay). We did our snorkel, and two scuba dives the first day (Thursday 8/5/04), skills, CESA, and a little looking around.

We had a lot of fun, but were very tired, and both dives were < 40 fsw.

I'm figuring that a lot of people getting certified right now are middle aged with decent income levels (to support the LDS, of course!), and not in top physical shape.

On day two (Sunday 8/8/04) we went back to Catalina and executed 3 dives (only two wanted blindfolds). We were wiped out and slept most of the way back.

There is good reason for the limitations set by the certification agencies...even if you are in the best physical condition, this is a new skill, using a new set of muscles and coordination, and in a new environment.

Aside from what eveyone else said I think the OW cert needs to be over 2 days because of the size of the class. I did my OW with a decent shop, not a rush rush rush LDS, and we had about other 9 divers doing their certs that weekend, we spent a good 10-15 mins waiting around at about 20 or so feet for the other students to complete whatever skill we we trying at that point. The Inst. DM and Assistant were there not only to test us but to help us if we made any mistakes and after correcting us they tested us again so they were sure we really did know how and what to do. I want my instruction to be complete and comprehensive not the quick fix, this is my life support skills I'm learning not crash course on needlepoint.
Could you imagine what CHAOS it would have been trying to get in 2 more dives that day. Plus I wouldn't want to do another 2 dives the same day the Inst and DM were pretty wiped out when we came up from the 2 dives (so was I) could you imagine what they would have been like if they had to do 2 more dives later that day?
Fatigue (physical and mental) = mistakes = problems
I also think the day long SI you get between day 1 and 2 gives you time to think about what you did right or wrong and how to improve on your next dive.
Now I'm not saying that for a class with 2 students that doing more would be a prob but then you HAVE the full attention and resources of the Inst. and he/she doesn't need to do 10 or 20 ascents and would be less physicaly and mentally drained.
Just my $0.02

Linthorn:
Why are the certification dives done over two days instead of 4 dives in one day? I can see the need for surface intervals, but the dives aren't very deep.

Just wondering

Linthorn
to make sure that you,can keep your skills and memory up for two days

Thanks for all the great replies. I was fortunate in that for my OW my "class" was very small (no other students for day 1, 1 other student for day 2, 2 other students for both days of my AOW). I can only imagine if my entire pool class did their certs at the same time. It would about kill the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom