Why are so many Insts not signing up students on Free DAN insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Some RN big wig @ DAN says " sorry" when I called from the hospital. " I think you have every right to insist to speak with a physician, etc - or have the attending physician make another call. Rare & odd accusation there altho I am sure it can happen.

Yes he was a great embarrassment to an otherwise fine organization, but I still have DAN membership and insurance because I think it's a very good idea, not just required.

But would that be a justification for Insts not bothering to sign their students up for free DAN coverage during training, then taking them into the ocean without it...?

You might have answered your question(s) in your original post, computer challenged........

"Some RN big wig @ DAN says " sorry" when I called from the hospital. " I think you have every right to insist to speak with a physician, etc - or have the attending physician make another call. Rare & odd accusation there altho I am sure it can happen.

Cheers. Just to elaborate & clarify for all - I was carrying DAN Master's insurance plan. Got injured severely in Europe. Wife and I call DAN to ask questions regarding medical coverage and air transport back to the US. We speak to DAN higher-ups in the US to get info. regarding coverage. The "weed" my wife spoke to did not raise a finger to assist. Rather, tried to pawn it off and said placating comments to the wife who is a health professional. Doesn't cut it when someone on the other end of the phone life knows the "in's and out." I have his name. Someday I hope to meet him in person.

In conclusion, local dive organizations working on my behalf were able to mobilize DAN reps. in Europe to respond and get DAN USA to act. Once I get evac'd to the US Dan gets its insurance underwriters/umbrella organizations to hassle me long and hard for the evac. costs which are covered by DAN. Funny, not in a good way! My primary health insurance covers all medical costs, including surgery. Chopper lift from boat is covered by the country's coastal defense.

All I can say is that DAN dropped the ball bigtime in this case, and the local diving groups and Coastguard were stellar. I am glad that DAN underwent some reorganization, but not enough IMO.

X

I did it for every Open Water class I taught after they started the program.

I would think that disclosing the student's personal information to a third party without their consent would be a bad (and probably illegal) practice.

DAN does good things. Diving insurance is also a good thing. Probably the best approach would be to spend no more than 30 seconds of the first class handing out the brochure and providing a link to the site for the free student insurance. Then let the students sort it out. Some will opt in, others will opt out.

Beyond that, it is up to DAN to promote DAN and from all outward appearances, DAN is quite capable. They have been around a very long time.

Richard

Some consider it gambling.

In that case, the free insurance for students isn't an issue for them since there's no money bet on the out come of the dive. It's not gambling.

In that case, the free insurance for students isn't an issue for them since there's no money bet on the out come of the dive. It's not gambling.
There are muslims who would disagree with you. I am neither muslim, nor an expert in this area, but I would still not sign anyone up for insurance without their knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom