Why do almost all DIR divers I see use black fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A serious question deserves a serious answer and you've gotten some good ones from the serious divers.

There are probably a few more reasons as well. Here is one:

The black rubber compound of the Jets or Turtles makes them negative and balances out the extra buoyancy of any gas in the drysuit boots when in a horizontal prone position with the knees bent and the feet up. Their extra weight also allows the diver to change trim by moving the fins back further or bringing them closer.

Serious Divers huh--Nice Troll--I'll bite

Maybe you are a bit too serious for your own good.
I dont really see the serousness in the question--the answer is a simple one --- cause the manufacture that makes the fins dont give the divers a choice of colors!

Have a good day! Happy Diving-- I'm off for a weekend at Catalina for some serious diving-- Missle Tower-- 200 fsw.

When he was first certified, one of my friends opted for an all-black ensemble. He told me it was so he would look like a pilot whale and get some "action" from one. Great...

Joe,

I am curious...since you are not a DIR diver and have no interest in working in that direction, why do you respond to questions posted in the DIR forum where the poster is looking for DIR rationale? And you respond in ways that don't address the question asked? I'm assuming you're not merely trying to be disruptive, so there must be some other reason? Throw me a bone here...

After you've sat through 300 or 400 of Beck's takes and contributions, you'll better understand the bristle he has intended and achieved. You may dive with him, but we have to tolerate his intrusions into what were once perfectly good threads.

BTW - JP... 200 fsw this weekend? Uh, you da man. Was that the response you were looking for?

Thought so.

K

JPBECK:
I dont really see the serousness in the question--the answer is a simple one --- cause the manufacture that makes the fins dont give the divers a choice of colors!
Well at least UP gave a rationale for the choice rather than just "that's what the manufacturer offers". As much as the DIR proponents attempt to explain that there are sound reasons behind their approach and equipment choices, Uncle Pug's response was the first one that gave a non-manufacturer-based explanation. At least NWGratefulDiver's reponse addressed the issue of why color itself wasn't relevant to the decision.

Thanks to you both.

-Rob

Ya something like that-- Thanks Rob-- But I got it.

First of all my first post on this thread was a joke. Secondly The reason I felt like posting it was the question was already answered.

Next who says I am not DIR--Ive been diving DIR long before it even had a name-- Way back to the days of AquaCorps where it was exposed.
Sorry you dont find my post enlightening-- But I dont find yours paticlarly educational either-- Do I attack you for that Mo2-- no, Do I call people names -- No

So whats up with all the hostility?

Dont really care, but lighten up---take a break
So have a wonderful day and a great weekend!

Hey Rob-- when are you going to get your He-- I gotta book out of here before my office hour --Finals week and I dont want to have to listen to pleas for mercy.

Dont know why you are being so nice to those guys, but whatever-- I have been tring to get hold of you for twenty minutes! Get off the Phone.

I am heading out now to exchange the cas. cylinders-- bring your whip over ASAP-- door is unlocked. See you

PS dont let the trolls get to you man, half of them probably dont even dive or are land locked!

Wow is everyone on this board so hostile? I thought the BBS was bad. The way I read it--around here its like a snowball effect--or a shark attack frenzy. I know I am new but I have been lurking for awhile- I have read some good stuff from that guy. As I read it there were many people joking-- but as soon as JP said something back to that mod that sniped him, everyone went off.

I am going back to where people dont gang up on others. I'll buy the book if I want advice. Sad really

Rob are you a Skater?

Keep your head up. And you body Horzontal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom