Why do divers Cave dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caves are mesmerizing indeed! My experience is limited to Mexico and the exquisitely decorated chambers. Kicking down into those inviting cave mouths is like slipping into a dream world, a still, tranquil meditation. Thoughts, emotions, and the clutter of life fall away as we glide into the ancient geologic sanctuary; entering a completely different realm. Unfathomable beauty, tranquility, adventure and a sense of wonder await.

Beyond the obvious water and rock – I’ll share some favorite places and unique moments: gliding in 30 minutes, then descending down into this small pit to find a huge unidentified ancient animal skeleton, watching small fresh water fish plunge down through the salty halocline layer to hunt salt water shrimp, translucent crystalline stalagmites deep in caves which glow a beautiful orange/yellow when illuminated by our lights, an other-worldly Halocline “waterfall” which is hard to describe. But imagine the visible boundary when oil pools on vinegar , an upside down gushing waterfall pooling in a mirror like pond on the ceiling.

Caves are not devoid of life, it is common to see many troglobites (cave dwelling critters), from blind fish & eels to isopods and crayfish. We also find focalized shells, sea urchins, and remnants of ancient civilizations (such as pottery, bits of charcoal, and hearths dating back 700- 10,000+ years).

Of course we pursue the sense of wonder: where does that tunnel lead, what’s beyond that next restriction or bend in the passage? How did that geologic feature form? And pursue adventure: Ok, do you think we can fit through that little hole? Do you want to peek into that little silty passage?

There is much adventure, many hikes in the jungle, jumps into cenotes in full equipment, moments where we ascend at the end of a line to find a remote cenote entrance filled with bats, or peer up into air domes to find beautiful underground rooms filled with delicate stalactites, etc.

There is so much natural exquisite beauty: Watching light refract off the halocline, floating in awe of the natural sunlight playing down through 200? ft of visibility in the cavern zone. And of course, all the delicate and intricate stalactite/stalagmite formations are stunningly beautiful - beyond description.

The cave environment, focus and training necessary to safely dive caves is not for everyone. But I'm certainly hooked.

Last edited:
The challenge, adventure and formations, that is what is drawing me to cave dive. While I have only experinced caverns/cenotes, it is like being in some of my states parks only underwater. I recently took a group to Cozumel and one day was spent at PDC diving the centoes. Most said it was fun but wouldn't do it again. I was looking at the formations and openings and wondering where they lead to.
I have spent a number of years diving ocean reefs and fresh water lakes and there comes a time when you want to see and do more in your diving. For some that may happen sooner than others.
The challenge comes from taking your training to the next level.

diepolder-cave-521196-lw.jpg

[video=youtube;MO-JLXsd22k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO-JLXsd22k[/video]

drool....

This thread is making me emotional. :)

I don't cave dive, nor do I plan to(in part because my dive buddy won't let me), but I can understand the allure. From the videos and pictures I've seen they look breathtaking. I am however, content to live vicariously through others.

I hope the many very eloquent replies in this thread inspire open water divers to seek out the training needed to experience these wonders for themselves rather than going in to take a peek without that training.

I hope the many very eloquent replies in this thread inspire open water divers to seek out the training needed to experience these wonders for themselves rather than going in to take a peek without that training.

Best post in this thread so far.

Wow, beautiful video ,now I see why it is so alluring ,thanks for all the wonderful explanations. And I didn't see a single giant slimy underwater cave monster with 8" fangs.

Well, even though most cave divers do it because they appreciate the beauty and the challenge, I have no doubt that the close proximity to danger makes it that much more enticing

Maybe someday I'll have the cojones to cave dive myself, but for now, I'm perfectly content with wrecks & night diving :)

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom