why do people do this ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Did he go there by himself or did he end up there afterwards? Who knows?

As newspaper reports are sometimes unclear about diving accidents (how many times have you read about our "oxygen tanks?") it's possible he wasn't at 184'. If they really meant his "gauge" showed 184', and not a dive computer, most gauges have a little needle which marks your max. depth....but you have to manually reset it before the dive...otherwise it might just be showing the maximum depth that gauge had EVER been to, if (like many divers) he never bothered to reset it between dives.

NWGratefulDiver:
Why do people do this?

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/sited/story/html/215466

184 feet ... apparently on a single cylinder ... apparently without a buddy ... why do people di(v)e like this ???
In the Utila singles trip report thread there was some discussion about a guy that went to 182' ... apparently on a single cylinder ... apparently without a buddy .... AND on EAN28 (a bit more than 1.8ppO2).

Narcosis was involved. Since he survived, you can PM him to ask why people do it.

El Orans:
My bad, I meant the depth.
Oh ... well, since he surfaced without assistance, and was unconsious, it would be logical that he was attempting to surface when he ran out of air and continued surfacing due to expansion ... otherwise, he'd still be down there.

Charlie99:
In the Utila singles trip report thread there was some discussion about a guy that went to 182' on a single tank without a buddy, on EAN28 (a bit more than 1.8ppO2). Narcosis was involved. Since he survived, you can PM him to ask why people do it.
The question was rather rhetorical, since I'm sure people do stuff like this for different reasons ... bragging rights, ignorance, or simply because "lots of people do it and don't die".

Sometimes Darwin finds them down there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
The question was rather rhetorical, since I'm sure people do stuff like this for different reasons ... bragging rights, ignorance, or simply because "lots of people do it and don't die".
My recommendation to PM was also a bit rhetorical. :)

One can read between the lines of the sketchy report on the incident I referred to, and an earlier incident with a pony bottle and see a combination of
1. lack of understanding, or respect, of the various risks
2. a "cowboy" mentality
3. undertaking dives beyond skill level
4. purposefully doing a dive into a zone where narcosis kicked in,
5. then going deeper than planned.

Every once in a while I do something stupid that starts the snowball effect or cascade of problems. Keeping things like this fresh in my mind helps to keep me in the right frame of mind that's needed to break the cascade of problems before it causes real problems.

people will alwayws do things like this. just before i read this thread i was planning on doing a bounce dive to around >180ft with a buddy just for kicks:)

Back
Top Bottom