Why do piston regs cost more than diaphragm regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m curious why piston 1st stages cost more that diaphragm 1st stages?
If you look at Scubapro, their MK25, which is supposedly their flagship reg, is more expensive that any diaphragms they have.
Atomic has always been a premium piston reg with a premium price.
If you look at DGX regs, their Xtra balanced piston reg costs more that their diaphragm model, even though they are knock off brand of sorts with an internet presence and a right-to-repair business model.
I have not checked other brands because there are more brands that are diaphragm only and don’t offer a balanced piston design option.

This is confusing to me because pistons are simpler inside and have less parts. The only difference with a balanced and unbalanced piston reg is design. They are balanced by a design difference only (one moving part, the piston - two if you include the spring) and not by extra parts including a balancing chamber like with diaphragm regs.

Is it the machining and need for precision?
Or is it just because they can?

Great question. I think it's marketing to some extent. But I'm no expert on regulators so will zip my mouth. :)

This is confusing to me because pistons are simpler inside and have less parts. The only difference with a balanced and unbalanced piston reg is design. They are balanced by a design difference only (one moving part, the piston - two if you include the spring) and not by extra parts including a balancing chamber like with diaphragm regs.

Is it the machining and need for precision?
Or is it just because they can?
You said it -- you pay for simplicity and convenience.

There are fewer parts; fewer failure points; and less maintenance to consider -- analogous to the reason why five-speeds are now more expensive than many automatic transmissions in a number of markets, and far easier to service, as are the regulator counterparts . . .

Using DGX as a fair example, the piston reg has a chromed body. Likely to reduce wear of the exposed parts. Thats not a cheap process. And the piston reg has all of those vent ports to machine, an extra step. Not to mention its unabashedly designed to look like a Scubapro piston reg.

The diaphram reg is easy peazy blackened brass. Could also be that the diaphram reg hasnt changed in a decade. Economy of scale. Ill be damned if the Hog, DGX, Deep 6, and Dive Rite first stages didnt all come out of the same factory.

I'd still rather have sealed diaphram regs. Easier to rinse.

It's really not fair to call DGX an off brand knock off. Especially when theyre preferred. Most of the companies out there, do the same thing. (Even Halcyon)

... and why exactly? Honest question. I've heard people say they are "better" for years, but I've never heard a solid argument as to why.
Placebo effect is real, as is the nocebo effect. As long as the diver has confidence in their equipment, it's all ok, it's their equipment, not yours.

... and why exactly? Honest question. I've heard people say they are "better" for years, but I've never heard a solid argument as to why.

If we continuously speed up production until the regs fail QC, like china or something.........

We could spit out decent piston regs for much longer, than diaphram, I'd bet.

So if I stumbled upon a dive shop selling dirt cheap regs, made in india, I'd select a piston version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom