Why do the big OMS wings have 2 inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That does no address the issue of a leaking inflator, if both inflator are connected and one leaks into the wing how does the diver decide which one to vent / disconnect?

If the diver chooses to dive with only one inflator connected, and finds the need to use the disconnected inflator they have to be able to find the LP hose and connect it. This is an added task load during a possible emergency.

With a conventional wing + drysuit there is no additional action required by the diver, and no uncertainty regarding which "bubble" need management.

Lift bag.

Tobin

Maybe I just take things too lightly.
you do have a point if both inflators are connected.
On the other hand, with only one connected, if you need to use the other, I don't see such an emergency where connecting the other would be that much of a task load. Plus an other option is to just use the other orally. Or....drop weight.

So far the only inflator "emergency" I have had was a sticky inflator (single bladder) I just disconnected the LP hose, and did the dive using the wing manually. Although for the most part just used dry suit.

So far I think I can count the number of rigs I have seen using double bladder on one hand (and still have fingers left to pick my nose)

It is common in tropical areas to dive wet with doubles and a double wing. The process is to not hook up the second inflator. If anything goes south with the primary inflator, unhook and use the backup orally. We really don't have real wrecks to penetrate, and no caves that I'm aware of. I guess a drysuit could be worn, ( I have threatened to wear mine) but as of now have no need for it. I could use my lift bag, but the double wing provides some peace of mind and with the backup inflator tucked away and not hooked up there is no way it could pose a problem on it's own.
Hope this clears things up.
Charlie
That does no address the issue of a leaking inflator, if both inflator are connected and one leaks into the wing how does the diver decide which one to vent / disconnect?

If the diver chooses to dive with only one inflator connected, and finds the need to use the disconnected inflator they have to be able to find the LP hose and connect it. This is an added task load during a possible emergency.

With a conventional wing + drysuit there is no additional action required by the diver, and no uncertainty regarding which "bubble" need management.

Lift bag.

Tobin

It is common in tropical areas to dive wet with doubles and a double wing. Hope this clears things up.
Charlie

Charlie,

What needs "clearing up" ? I'm not confused about the pro's and con's of redundant bladder wings.

There are other solutions to the problem that redundant bladder wings seek to solve. I prefer these to the cost, and complexity of redundant bladder wings.

Tobin

There are other solutions to the problem that redundant bladder wings seek to solve. I prefer these to the cost, and complexity of redundant bladder wings.

I have to agree - the dual bladder approach is (IMHO) "complex" as opposed to "redundant buoyancy".

Specifically with the OMS wings mentioned in the OP, they create as many problems as the solve. I'm thinking of the lift capacity in the first instance... the smallest is 64lb, but OMS also offer a 94lb lift capacity wing.

I use a 50lb wing on my doubles rig - it's enough lift to dive comfortably with steel tanks for back gas and three AL80 stage tanks. Bigger wings are less streamlined, big dual wings are doubly so.

Different companies and different people adhere to different points of view, some beleive "less is more" - again, my opinion is that this is the way to go.

Tobin,
Wasn't directing that to you, I know your philosiphy (and agree when drysuits are worn)
just trying to give another view to the OP.
PS: I really have threatened to use my DS here. I am becoming such a wuss about the water temps.
Charlie
Charlie,

What needs "clearing up" ? I'm not confused about the pro's and con's of redundant bladder wings.

Tobin

Tobin,
Wasn't directing that to you, I know your philosiphy (and agree when drysuits are worn)
just trying to give another view to the OP.
PS: I really have threatened to use my DS here. I am becoming such a wuss about the water temps.
Charlie

Charlie,

I took no offense to your earlier post. I was wondering if you perhaps thought I was unaware of the "tropical" use of wetsuits, doubles and redundant wings.

Big, negative steel doubles usually mean deep and or long exposures. Such exposures make drysuits interesting. Doesn't mean that there are not exceptions.

I've been pleasantly surprised that this thread remained civil, given the topic.

Tobin

Quick, crazy question: has anyone ever tried using a lift bag as redundant buoyancy inside a tight situation such as in a wreck or a tight cave passage? Picture a tropical diver in a wetsuit, with doubles in such a situation having a primary bladder failure (say it gets punctured for the sake of argument and is now totally useless) No drysuit backup, and no room to use a liftbag. Here is another example. Many divers here in the North East use double bladders simply because their drysuits alone cannot provide enough buoyancy. Thus they only keep enough air in the drysuit to keep warm and use the BCD for primary buoyancy. Now they have a primary bladder failure. If a liftbag is not usable in the confines of a wreck, and the drysuit cannot provide sufficient lift, what then? This was the thought behind the dual bladder. By not attaching an LPI hose to the backup inflator, and using inflating it orally, the problem of a leaking LPI is eliminated. Granted, many can say that they are overweighted to begin with and looking through a DIR point of view you would be correct. However, the entire world does not dive DIR. Everything else is backed up in technical diving, so in this case the redundant bladder is actually necessary. For DIR style diving, of course it is not. Then again, a DIR diver would not advocate removing their scuba unit to access a small space, where many hard core wreckers will. Different diving styles and situations. Neither is right or wrong, they just are.
Any thoughts?

Quick, crazy question: has anyone ever tried using a lift bag as redundant buoyancy inside a tight situation such as in a wreck or a tight cave passage? Picture a tropical diver in a wetsuit, with doubles in such a situation having a primary bladder failure (say it gets punctured for the sake of argument and is now totally useless) No drysuit backup, and no room to use a liftbag. Here is another example. Many divers here in the North East use double bladders simply because their drysuits alone cannot provide enough buoyancy. Thus they only keep enough air in the drysuit to keep warm and use the BCD for primary buoyancy. Now they have a primary bladder failure. If a liftbag is not usable in the confines of a wreck, and the drysuit cannot provide sufficient lift, what then? This was the thought behind the dual bladder. By not attaching an LPI hose to the backup inflator, and using inflating it orally, the problem of a leaking LPI is eliminated. Granted, many can say that they are overweighted to begin with and looking through a DIR point of view you would be correct. However, the entire world does not dive DIR. Everything else is backed up in technical diving, so in this case the redundant bladder is actually necessary. For DIR style diving, of course it is not. Then again, a DIR diver would not advocate removing their scuba unit to access a small space, where many hard core wreckers will. Different diving styles and situations. Neither is right or wrong, they just are.
Any thoughts?

If the diver is negative only by the weight of their backgas it's pretty hard to see a scenario where a drysuit cannot offset the loss of a wing. Even 2 x 130's will only hold ~20 lbs of gas.

20 lbs of displacement is a "cube" of gas about 8" on a side, not very big at all.

Why dive over weighted?

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom