Why do the LDS's take it????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
They weren't interested because I didn't have any large quantities of any one thing but told me that they would have been interested if I had large numbers of one reg, bc or whatever. They just didn't want to mess with the onesy twosy stuff I had. If they go through the trouble of adding something to their website/inventory they want to have a bunch of it.

You had "onesy twosy stuff" and you went out of business. LP and other good online/full service stores, SCUBATOYS, SCUBA.COM etc. have full inventory, good prices, and good service.

The new diver will continue to shop online, compare pricing etc.

As I usually do I go back to the 1st post to see the relevance of the current comments on the original poster's topic. I read the 1st post before I even looked at the date, and once I realized the date, I thought how current the topic still is. Not much has changed in two years.

As for online selling the compressors on the cheap so when your LDS goes under for not adapting a new business model. My response would be just buy their fill equipment on the cheap when they go under.

That being said. I have no problem supporting my LDS. There are some items (some of them are large and high priced) that I prefer to buy from them and there are many items that I don't buy from them. There are also items that they do not/will not carry due to sporadic demand or pricing issues. Those items I also buy online due to their availability and price there.

Here's the biggest problem I have with both of my local LDS:

"Hey are you a dealer for _________"

"Yes, we are an authorized for them."

"Great! I'll come by and have a look at them."

"Oh, we're a dealer but we don't keep any in stock. We can order whatever you want."

That pretty much sums it up. Hell, I can ORDER it. Neither of my LDS carry any inventory to speak of. Can't sell what you don't have...

-Charles

cameron:
This sport has always been about hanging out, drinking beer, telling stories and of course diving...for me at least. It was about being involved in the teaching, the divemastering, the local trips and the tropical trips that kept me going in this sport. It was the guys at my LDS that got me into tech diving and more advanced diving. I dont think that I would be the diver I am now without the LDS. Ohhhh ya.... I buy gear there too. The shop gives me good deals, he dosnt rip customers off, he is trying to make money like everyone else. I guess I could save 50 bucks on a reg or something by purchasing on line but if I can give that extra 50 to the shop to keep it going, it is worth it in my eyes. I guess I am lucky in that I hang at an awsome shop...and have an extra 50 bucks to spend..

I agree with you and if you will permit me...I think what you're really saying here is that, assuming you have a decent LDS, it's about more than just saving a buck. A good LDS is like the now defunct family owned grocery store, hardward store, etc. where you were a little bit more than just a customer. I remember going to the local 2 chair barber shop and everyone knew your name. Now you walk into a Supercuts with 15 chairs and they can't remember you from three weeks ago.

To each his own, but I can't just live my life boiling down my whole existence to how much money I saved to, what, buy more stuff? And by the way, I so enjoy reading all the complaints and warnings about how people were ripped off or were unhappy with internet purchases. I tried internet several times and it was really hit or miss. If I can't put my hands on it, I won't buy it.

Divesherpa:
Some people would rather have $50 and get typing practive than a friendly, knowledgeable dive buddy (who knows the area and the gear) to dive with.

My advice is simple: Enjoy your dive with Ben Franklin! I'd rather be diving with friends at (***insert local dive site here***).

Some people would rather have both and don't need a dive shop for either.

My advice is simpler: Enjoy working overtime to support your dive shop owner. I'll be off diving with friends from my dive club.

BTW, if someone will only dive with you as long as you are giving them your business, they aren't your "friends".

The same idiot that takes advice on Scubaboard and the DecoStop from someone whose qualifications are unknown and someone that they have never met.

jonnythan:
Scubaboard, TheDecoStop, etc.

What kind of idiot takes the advice of someone trying to sell them something??

Why does it always have to be all or nothing with this arguement? First off, I'll buy from an LDS when I can and it makes sense. I'll buy online when that makes sense. Of course, I'm lucky enough to be within driving distance of ScubaToys. Which brings me to another point. What is keeping ANY LDS from developing a business plan like ScubaToys?? My other dive shop is just as capable of getting a bunch of stuff in, learning how to make a website, and selling online just like LiesurePro or ScubaToys. They CHOOSE not too for whatever reason. You can sell a bunch at a lower margin, or, you can sell a little bit for a large margin. It just depends on how you balance that if you make an overall profit at the end of the year or not. ScubaToys chooses to sell a bunch at a lower margin. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a business plan.

Kunk35:
Why does it always have to be all or nothing with this arguement? First off, I'll buy from an LDS when I can and it makes sense. I'll buy online when that makes sense. Of course, I'm lucky enough to be within driving distance of ScubaToys. Which brings me to another point. What is keeping ANY LDS from developing a business plan like ScubaToys?? My other dive shop is just as capable of getting a bunch of stuff in, learning how to make a website, and selling online just like LiesurePro or ScubaToys. They CHOOSE not too for whatever reason. You can sell a bunch at a lower margin, or, you can sell a little bit for a large margin. It just depends on how you balance that if you make an overall profit at the end of the year or not. ScubaToys chooses to sell a bunch at a lower margin. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a business plan.

You totally hit the nail on the head! These is no good reason to not develop a business plan like Scubatoys. The LDS that do not will eventually go out of business. It is evolution and the dinosaurs will go down. Don't get me wrong, I don't say this out of malice. It is just that businesses must evolve to survive.

Back
Top Bottom