Why do you log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your dive log is just for you no one else. Keep one or don't, your choice. No one has ever read mine!!!!
Your life and circumstances change over 40 years and it's interesting to go back and read through the one common thread of your life that's written in the 1st person. Some of our logs chronicle the progression of recreational diving; training, gear, regulations, attitudes, travel. If you start out by telling the truth in your log, you won't be able to bull**** yourself later.

oh, and when i take the time to type up more extensive reports like on here or ncdivers, i print a copy & fold it up & stick that in the relevant pages, too.

a hug to you, walter, for being you!

WHAT? I don't get a gold watch at 1000 dives??? Darn... *quickly thumbs through old NAUI OW book* I swear they promised me a gold watch somewhere in here! :D

Clean out your ears girl! They promised you a cold crotch not a gold watch.

I've read your posts and I am certain your brain is at least walnut-sized :D :D

Oddly enough I'll take that as a compliment though it sounds rather dubious taken out of context :D .

I've been diving for 15 years now and never logged a dive. Some of you brag about dive counts like you get a Gold watch at 1000 or something. What's the point? Is it for the insurance company because this is a business?

Wow, rudeness incorporated. You've been diving for 15 years and never logged a dive? You sound like you're bragging too. So tough, I don't log dives. Belch.

Search is your friend. This (and other "why log?") questions come up frequently. Try looking before you post. And why not fill out your profile, otherwise it's difficult to frame responses.

As others have mentioned, it helps me figure weighting with different configurations. It helps me plan dives to places I've been before; I check the depth in the log. I've referred to it to remind me when I started using certain pieces of gear, like when I have a warranty issue, for instance. I've started tracking my SAC rate with it.

I enjoy collecting souvenir stamps and signatures, and I enjoy occasionally flipping through my log and re-living some of my vacation dive trips.

The now almost routine ritual my buddy and I have gotten into of going for an after-dive beer while we log our dives has become an enjoyable way for us to compare our impressions and memories, and sometimes remind each other of important things we may have forgotten, like "remember to adjust your strap before the next dive" etc. Not to mention going over things like, "Was that a tiger rockfish or a painted greenling?"

Unlike others here, I have had dive operators ask to see my log before taking me on the boat; in Costa Rica, in Belize and in Corsica. In Belize, the first dive was at the Blue Hole (130 fsw), and my logbook kept me from having to do a checkout dive first.

I've started using a plain, spiral-bound "Rite-in-the-Rain" notebook. It's easy enough to copy the standard items from dive to dive, and I like having enough room for drawings, diagrams, maps, extra pages of descriptions, etc.

I wouldn't say it's necessary, or that you cannot be a good diver without it, but I think it enhances my diving experience. Really, though, the main reason I keep a log is that I enjoy it.

I log some dives. Usually the first time on a site:

Why? Because if i want to dive that site again its useful to know what to see, what to avoid, what potential hazards and probably more importantly, when slack water is so the place is actually practical to dive.

Oh and in the UK i log all teaching dives where im being paid. Why? Because the law says i have to.

As it was said before . . . I'm an engineer and I just can't help myself!!

Seriously, there are dozens of reasons to log dives and none of them involve bragging about your number of dives or your deepest dive.

To begin with, I can never remember my last dive date when most resorts ask for it. I have seen them get suspicious and question divers if they suspect it has been a decade since their last dive.

I return to the same resorts quite often and I like to recall the best dive sites, which boat to avoid, which divemaster to request, which divemaster to avoid, the names of people working at the dive shop, where to look for certain fish, which wrecks are worth diving, best afternoon dives, night dives worthwhile, etc.

That's why I log my dives. :)

I googled it for grins and on an ehow.com vid the guy stated that "resorts want to see what kind of dives you have been on before they'll let you dive with them". WHAT A LOAD OF TURTLE POO! Never has anyone asked if I had a log book.:shakehead:

Well, you have never been diving in Israel. Israeli dive shops will ask for your Log Book as proof of your recent diving, within six months. And this log book must be signed/stamped by the dive shop where you got your air at for these most recent dives. If you don't have this proof, by Israeli law, you will have to go on a refresh dive with a divemaster (equivalent or above).

Also, if you want to rent equipment/get air fills and dive independently (by law you must buddy), you must have a certain number of logged dives. I can't remember how many - I thought it was 50 logged dives (it may be 35?). If you don't have this you must hire a divemaster to guide you.

drdaddy

Mainly for personal enjoyment so I know where I've been and what I've done.

Goes good with my military jump log :)

Well, you have never been diving in Israel. Israeli dive shops will ask for your Log Book as proof of your recent diving, within six months. And this log book must be signed/stamped by the dive shop where you got your air at for these most recent dives. If you don't have this proof, by Israeli law, you will have to go on a refresh dive with a divemaster (equivalent or above).

That is by far the stupidist logbook story I have heard so far! For one thing how does the shop you got your air from know the details of any diving you've done?

Also, if you want to rent equipment/get air fills and dive independently (by law you must buddy), you must have a certain number of logged dives. I can't remember how many - I thought it was 50 logged dives (it may be 35?). If you don't have this you must hire a divemaster to guide you.

So how can they regulate whether or not you have a buddy? What is the penalty if you are busted solo diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom