Why do you need more lift when cold water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a question: if you were to have a can light, how do you balance it out so that your trim isn't crazy?

Back in the day of lead-acid batteries, can lights were heavy, to the point of being considered ditchable weight in an emergency. With modern batteries, they're so light and compact that you'll never notice the weight in the water.

Here's a question: if you were to have a can light, how do you balance it out so that your trim isn't crazy?

P.s. were you on the Peace in September? I very well could have met you... you had a yellow Halcyon rig... correct?

Others have already answered you on the cannister light of current design. However, though it's lighter you should still take the negative buoyancy characteristics into account because if it sinks, then it's ballast. I don't think that trim is an issue because you'd be using less lead if you were to use a heavy cannister light anyway. Besides, you can always use the weight pouches that are attached to your cam bands to help trim out too.

And yes, it was me with the yellow Halcyon Infinity.

It's also true that, if you are in horizontal trim, you can (and eventually will) park gas in one side of the wing or the other, to balance yourself from side to side. Were that not true, nobody could comfortable carry deco bottles or an argon setup on one side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom