Why exactly should women not dive while pregnant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsaxe01:
Just an idea.... could it also have something to do with the pressure on the uterus, as well as the baby at lets say 2ATM...?

Those knowledgeable in this area do not believe that this is a factor.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Dr Deco:
the fetus has grown to the point where it is moving and could be generating gas bubbles from decompression.
These bubbles are not filtered out by the lungs, since they are not functional in the unborn child.

can u explain the risks of bubble formation from the unborn foetus?
Does the bubble formation pose a hazard to the MUM or the foetus?

Dr Deco:
Before this time, the fetus is too small and gas exchange is too rapid, although one would not dive if they suspected pregnancy.

And why when the foetus is small and gas exchange rapid, it isn't so dangerous?

What would u recommend if a lady diver realises she is pregnant only after she completes her dives? Could u advise with the risks involved?

dees:
What would u recommend if a lady diver realises she is pregnant only after she completes her dives? Could u advise with the risks involved?

My wife completed her OW dives and then discovered that Jack was on his way. Checked up with the docs and no problems. However I did wonder at the time just how much they knew about the subject. Not too much I suspect.

Happy to say Jack is now 6.5 months and VERY healthy.

Hoppy:
My wife completed her OW dives and then discovered that Jack was on his way. Checked up with the docs and no problems. However I did wonder at the time just how much they knew about the subject. Not too much I suspect.

Happy to say Jack is now 6.5 months and VERY healthy.

CONGRATS HOppy..
So Jack has a headstart in diving :)

Laurence Stein DDS:
Not that it make much difference now. In 1983 and 1986 my wife and I took vacations to various dive sites. I have been diving forever but my wife was newly certified.

She couldn't stand gearing up with the suits, BCs, tanks, etc. Worst of all was the smell from the diesel engines. She was glad to get into the water because she was really seasick.

Eight months after each of these dive vacations, a "little bundle of joy appeared. It seems that her seasickness was actually morning sickness! She was pregant both times and wasn't aware until she returned home.

My wife no longer dives(thank goodness--I can't take any more kids)--just the thought of being on a boat rocking back and forth makes her sick. "The Perfect Storm" was agony for her. Even "Titanic" made her sick! I'm not making this up.

Doc N. Stein,

Hey, Larry, hadn't heard from you in ages. I see that you are in your usual rare form. Always glad to have your contributions!

Cheers!

Rob

hahaha, where is the evidence for the pressure on the plazenta thing? hahahaha never heard that before! How can there be effects? The plazenta is not made out of gas, but mostly liquid and pressure has no effects on liquids now, does it? Amazing what stories people can come up with!!!!

Hi Jennie007,

Well, the post which you just cited is now over 5 years old and knowledge evolves -- "hahaha" ; )

Also, the original poster hasn't been active on the board since May 23, 2001.

BTW, water and aqueous solutions in fact are compressible, although only very minimally. An increase of pressure by 1 atmosphere causes a decrease in the volume of water of 5.3*10-5 (that's minus 5th power; I can't do superscripts).

Regards,

DocVikingo

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you DocVikingo. It s always nice to learn something new. If you have other posts hidden somewhere about pregnancy and diving, please let me know.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom