Why is Kinghorn 800ft from ice exit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swim!!

That's what BC's and fins are for. I can't swim to save my life.

OK, No video for my classes......I'll take your word on how bad I am, I don't need to see it. I am a very fragile person and don't take abuse well.

Musta been all that military training.

Ask my CSM what happened to him when he decided to be an A/Hole to my company during a 2 month long exercise in the fields of Wainwright...............

He's gotta sleep sometime.............

I enjoyed IMMENSELY, his freaking out the next day.

tehehehe

Right on TomR!

During winter warfare I lived by that motto!

I brought more sterno, hot chocolate etc than I could use. Warmers (those "stick" burning things) for the hands and feet too!

Remember going "Tactical"? No white light, no engines running etc......screw that noise. Sterno in my "L" trench at 40 below.......

Yeah, I wonder why I left?????

Now you know why I LOATH the cold anymore.

Tom R:
We have an expression in the Military, any fool can be uncomfortable. hee
Hey now... you tryin' to say something?????

Honestly I wasn't cold at all...... I had to swim to keep up with my buddies..... my Cressi Frog fins weren't wide enough.... (yeah, that's it)

could the kinghorn be dove w/o deco in summer?

During the boating season...Can you manage to get out there for a night dive from shore. There wouldn't be anyone using the Boat Ramp late in the evening would there?

I enjoyed the dives out to her between Oct and Dec.

Oh and one more thing... Any Ice dives planned on the Wolfe Islander coming up?

Thanks and have a good one

Tom R:
Yes but
We don't dive the Kinghorn from shore during boating season.

Diver Joe:
During the boating season...Can you manage to get out there for a night dive from shore. There wouldn't be anyone using the Boat Ramp late in the evening would there?

I enjoyed the dives out to her between Oct and Dec.

Oh and one more thing... Any Ice dives planned on the Wolfe Islander coming up?

Thanks and have a good one

Joe,

We do not shore dive this area at all during the spring or summer. The rule of thumb is no divers from the Victoria Day weekend to the Labour Day weekend. This is especially true for night dives. This is a very high boat traffic area during the warm months. The local business can get very upset when they have to shut down the boats and cruise ships due to divers popping to the surface throughout the bay.

Come down and watch the activity during the Easter Weekend. You will see a number of divers either surface swimming out to the Kinghorn in order to dive it on a single tank or popping to the surface without warning upon reaching the Kinghorn from the shore. These folks become an immediate hazard to the cruise ships. It was a spooky thing to watch last year. The cruise ships were coming in and divers were popping to the surface all over the place. A number of which did not have the ability to surface swim back to shore. I saw Wayne from 1000 Island Charters go out and pickup one of them. Hence for the safety of all, diving is restricted. You have to dive the area from a boat. Wayne runs divers out to the Kinghorn for a reasonable fee most nights on the weekend.

There is a plan to dive the Wolf this year. But that will depend on ice conditions and whether or not we can locate the wreck.

Thanks James for the info. Thought it would be a nice evening dive but I would not want to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Guess I'll just have to get a good number of spring and fall dives in on her.

Cheers and safe diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom