Why is PADI so conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main difference is that most, but not all, divers can do a controlled emergency swimming ascent (CESA) from 60 ft or less. How often is that necessary? I've never talked to a diver who has had to do one (maybe we should do a survey here to see how often it has been required of the general scuba population).

I recall a survey like that. I don't remember all of the stories but I remember a lot of responses from people who had to bail from dives in teh pre-spg era using J-valves.

Having said that, failure to monitor instruments and running out of air with all of the complications it causes remains an important source of accidents in our sport.

R..

My question is why would you object to taking continuing-ed courses? If you're a "serious confident" diver then I don't understand your objection.

R..

im not objecting to doing aow,i will do it, just asking questions,im always interested to hear what u guys think

To the OP
Diving is one of those things in life where being conservative is never a bad idea.

I am not trying to be critical here but based on your questions here and in your Nitrox thread you should probably break out your OW training manual and spend some time reviewing it. Asking questions here is good but you will probably find the answers in your manual more concise. Just because the course is over doesnt mean you cant keep using the manual.

i have read the text plenty of times,but i will get it out again tonight and read it, i doubt theres any mention of nitrox in there at all though, i have found that i learn more by asking questions and then thinking about the answers i get and then asking more questions if i need to, the padi text says that people can learn at there own pace, i passed my exams for open water, i have done over 50 odd dives,so i think im doing okay to be honest, i have never and will never put my self in any unnessary danger by doing anything silly with regards diving,ive heard some people do!!! just because i ask what might seem like some trivial or silly questions to some people on here,it doesnt mean i am dumb enough to start doing silly things underwater,any dive i done to 30metres or there abouts was done under the close supervision of an instructor i had dived with before,,not some other openwater diver i just met, i am simply asking questions

thanks for all ur input though

Last edited:
Just a note on PADI's AOW .. it's really called Adventures In Diving (look at the book) and it's more about exposing you to 5 different areas of diving under supervision of an instructor to see if any of those areas interest you, than an advanced anything class (they are the 5 first dives in the related specialty courses)
If you have a good instructor, and pick your optional dives wisely, you will learn useful stuff though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom