Why is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been To Roatan numerous times as well as Jamaica, and I always heard about Port Royal and the pirates. So I took the time to go spend some time down there in Roatan, and saw some landmarks that were identified as pirate strongholds, Capt. morgans house, british forts, Etc.. I even looked at a map that showed the canon fortifications of the era, and lookout spots Very official looking copy of an old map (I know it was a copy or a fake). I am just not sure who to believe anymore.
Lots of lore about Capt Morgan, pirates and such, but, I just watched a show about Jamaica that claimed that thier Port Royal was the stronghold to pirates, Capt. Morgan and British forts, Etc. Even some of the stories sounded alike. In addition I have lost count of how many islands I have visted that have layed claim to the famous "cheesburger in paradise" song. They have long detailed stories of how they came to that particular island, and wrote the song.
They all claim the same fame So I am now asking does anyone know the truth about either of these legacy's and to which island the fame really belongs to? or are both these legacies lost to accurate history?

Half the people on Utila have the surname "Morgan", the old men speak english with a thick Cornish accent and refer to the mainlanders as "Bloody Spaniards"

I suspect that the good Captain got around a bit.

So no mention of Roatan, Guanaja or utilla in that historical search. Also, what about the cheeseburger in paridise aspect? Two separate questions I know . Answers to none

I'm not sure if you know this or if this is the right answer to your question, but capt morgan was the most famous pirate EVER!, The british let the pirates come to port royal as long as they attacked the french and spanish ships, later the pirate capt morgan became the governer of the island (drink was his problem, think he had the gout), when the british saw no more need for the pirates after the wars with the spanish and french they sent in the royal navy to pretty much wipe out the pirates.

The Bay Islands were rife with Pirates in the day. You might want to read "The Judas Bird" and muddle through the 900 pages of "modern day treasure adventure" that is laced with facts to support the plodding story's fantasy.

It references the map you have seen, it deliniates how different towns became named, it talks quite a bit about the Port Royal ruins and East End limestone "caves".

Here, it's on the internet, it must be true: http://www.roatanonline.com/moreroatan/roatan_treasure.htm
buy a teasure map: http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/pirate2.htm

American Airlines once printed a half page story about Jimmy Buffet's visit to roatan which is a long sail from anywhere. He was said to have complained to the bar owner that the cheesburger should not be made of horsemeat, it was to be made of beef!

Supposedly the bar owner says to Jimmy, "Come back in two days", so upon Jimmy's return, they had ordered-in and received ground beef. I have posted this very magazine article and framed it, hanging on a wall at CoCoView. I still do not believe it.

What makes it non-credible? Even today in 2007, nothing changes in two days in the Bay Islands. In the era that this was to have occurded, the only thing that might have changed in Roatan that fast was Jimmy's taste buds. Maybe the horsemeat just tasted better after a few days in paradise.... with an onion slice.

Lot's of romantic stories. Buy the map and a shovel.

Cheeseburger in Paradise was written after a visit to Key West, FL. This from the mouth of Buffet himself during an interview with MTV a number of years back....

From Jimmy Buffett himself -

"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispaniola and Puerto Rico and broke our bow sprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand-new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock, like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now these were the the days when supplies in that part of the world were rather scarce-when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked and what we wanted on them-to which little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toasted buns tasted like manna from heaven, for they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but this is the way it happened."

I have seen the story at CCV as well as heard it and read it in other places about the island, but like Scuba Jay said Key West Also lays claim to it, now that makes 3 or 4 places that claim the same fame. I am losing count. I was just wondering if we have anyone who know JB whho might be able to clear this up once and for all. As for the Pirates stuff, I am not sure if there is any way to CLEARLY correct the records as to what really happened and where I think I also was told that guanaja also lay claims to being the stronghold of Capt. Morgan and his band of merry men when I was last on that island.
At least Jamica has a pretty clean lien on Bob Marly
I have seen no one else claiming nything about him.
I'll look into the book you mentioned RM that might be interesting

Back
Top Bottom