Why no deco dives off charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are the reasons they don't let you do them?

I would imagine the main reason is time/costs.
The boat may want to get two trips in during a day.
Deco dives take too long.

Geezzzz, the charter boat captains out of Panama City, Fl start griping if you show up with any tank larger than 80 cubic feet.

They should state in their adverts, 2 / 80 cubic foot tank dives $75 instead of 2 tank dives $75.

They hate it if you start getting more than 30 minutes bottom time.

the K

If you want to do deco dives, there are charters available, especially if you make the arrangements to book the boat for your group. It just takes some research.

Most of the dive boats I have been on specifically ask that you do not stay down for more than an hour due to their own time contraints and scheduling.

TOM

I suppose that if it was just to keep the times at the site shortened then they shouldn't say no deco. Just say be back within an hour.
Maybe not all charters have the same reason then. I was under the impression that if you're qualified to deco, then they can't be held liable...

all4scuba05:
I suppose that if it was just to keep the times at the site shortened then they shouldn't say no deco. Just say be back within an hour.
Maybe not all charters have the same reason then. I was under the impression that if you're qualified to deco, then they can't be held liable...

With this reasoning, an they could never be liable for a diver as long as the diver was certified for the type of diving the were doing.

Dude,

There are very few absolutes.

It depends on the boat, the weather, how many divers you have (e.g. can you fill the boat with your own bunch of divers), and what you want to do - which wrecks you want to dive. (Among other criteria.)

You may have to dive with another bunch of divers first, to show the captain that you are not an amusement park underwater and a yard sale on deck, but once you've established your bona fides you will be able to find boats that will go where you want to go. You simply need to figure out what it takes to get the captain to take you there.

Hint: No captains, or darned few, want to mix rec and tech. It's a sure fire way to ensure that NO one is satisfied with the dives. A rec bunch can be done with two dives AND a 2 hr surface interval in four hours or (often) less. Depending on the length of the transit, a boat captain can go out twice in one day. A tech bunch will take substantially longer to do the same thing plus the boat weighs more with all the scooters and sling tanks and assorted BS, cutting into profits, even compared to the cost of the extra fuel for the second run of rec divers. The captain needs to charge more to make it worth his while, plus he will often need a mate.

So if you want to charter a boat to dive the way you want to dive, step one is start working to find a satisfactory group of like-minded divers to give you a shot at filling the boat. Sixpacks work quite nicely in this regard... Then recognize that it will be more expensive and be willing to pony up group deposits in advance.

Best,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom