Why not Tungsten instead of Lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how bout this

Iridium, symbol Ir, white, brittle, extremely hard, metallic element. Its specific gravity is 22.6, making iridium more than twice as dense as lead. Iridium and osmium are together considered to be the densest elements; their densities are so close as to be nearly indistinguishable.

The atomic number of iridium is 77; it is one of the transition elements of the periodic table.

It is probably astronomically expensive, but who cares its dense.

Acually Stainless Steel is not much cheaper than lead.

and lead is easy to manipulate. Melt/re-pore etc etc

The significantly lower casting temperature of lead drastically reduces the cost. Not just in energy savings but also the type of furnace.....probably gas fired vs. electric.

The lower casting cost also makes it easier to change mold designs and shapes. Almost anyone can make a lead "V" weight in a backplate. "Back in the day" (I laugh at that phrase. I hear college sophomores use it referring to high school!) my brother and I melted scrap lead, that was given to us, in a coffee can on the kitchen stove. We poured it into a universal weight mold sitting on the breakfast table. Everything was going well until the soldier holding the can together started to soften and leak. I think bits of lead remained in the burner for years afterwards! We kept the exhaust hood going for safety (?) although I had my face over the can for hours watching the adventure.

There will probably be a resurgence of nuclear power generation. Depleted uranium is another blue sky possibility for weights.

Ok no ones really interested. I just hate all the wieght I have to carry when dry suit diving (24lbs plus my HP100). I have 2 5lb soft weights in my trim pockets and 14 lbs of soft weight on my belt.

Iridium and Osmium are really rare and are like $500 per oz. half the price of gold but man are they dense. A pop can volume of these materials weights about 15lbs! Imagine 2 pop can sized weights weight 30lbs!

Ok no ones really interested. I just hate all the wieght I have to carry when dry suit diving (24lbs plus my HP100). I have 2 5lb soft weights in my trim pockets and 14 lbs of soft weight on my belt.

Iridium and Osmium are really rare and are like $500 per oz. half the price of gold but man are they dense. A pop can volume of these materials weights about 15lbs! Imagine 2 pop can sized weights weight 30lbs!

You'll probably get more bang foy your buck by getting a SS backplate and larger tanks. I used to dive double 130s and never needed weight with my drysuit (even using an AL backplate).

~Jeff

Maybe some spent uranimun 20mm cannon projectiles.

I've been blessed with being relatively dense so I don't even dive with any weights :D
I use a BP/W with an AL plate and with a 3/2mm full suit and a 3/5mm hooded vest under it I can dive without any weights! This is only time being dense is beneficial. I remember trying to pass the swim test in elementary and looking over at my friends just floating on their backs while I had to tread water to stay afloat.

It's a cool idea, but I think most would prefer to spend that money on more diving.

Some of the diving bells in the early 20th century used mercury for ballast and weight. The material could be drained out by the operator. (Does a diving bell have a captain?) Obviously, unthinkable today.

Another idea from the past was a product called "sand belt", advertised in the back of Skin Diver magazine. Take the empty belt to the dive location, install beach sand, and dive. Seemed like an aid to some dive travelers. I suppose that idea never sold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom