Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeraldjcook:
If I understand the DIR setup right, your primary is on the long hose, back up on a short hose, so you really have the option to donate whichever one best fits the situation. Right?

Stop and think it through...under what circumstance would it be better to donate the bungee backup on a 22"-24" hose? Are there any circumstances you can think of where this would be necessary?

Soggy:
Stop and think it through...under what circumstance would it be better to donate the bungee backup on a 22"-24" hose? Are there any circumstances you can think of where this would be necessary?

if you already donated the primary?

lamont:
You mean besides the fact that he plucked a post of mine completely out of context and used it to slander myself and everyone else who dives DIR? That's "covering everything well"? That the meat of his argument, that wasn't based on poor quoting, seemed to be about the rules in the DIR forum without understanding why those rules are there or where they come from? I'm certain I could do better than that if I tried...
I think the initial argument had to do with the term "Doing it Right" ... which implies that everyone else is "Doing it Wrong".

It's a marketing slogan.

Do people get upset with the phrase "How the world learns to dive" (PADI) ... which implies that nobody else in the world teaches diving?

Or "Diver safety through education" (NAUI) ... which implies that everyone else's education is unsafe?

I think not.

I suspect there's a whole bunch of University of Alabama alumni participating here ... not all of whom are on the DIR bandwagon ... :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One other thing:

The long hose is the first building block of the DIR equipment configuration, but it isn't exclusive to DIR and DIR didn't invent it, and it was around a long time before DIR. Lots of non-DIR divers have adopted the long hose.

In fact, I would say that I'm both a DIR diver and a Long Hose Diver. The Long Hose Diver bit is the part that I'm really fairly a Zealot about. I don't really care about jacket BCs, bungee wings, buckles on straps, pony bottles, double bladder wings, brass snap bolts, etc. I am out to convert the world over to the long hose because I think its better as an actual safety feature. Long Hose Zealot: Guilty. DIR Zealot: I don't have the spare time to evangelize that to the world.

Soggy:
I don't understand the scenario.

buddy 1 runs out of air, you donate primary

buddy 2 runs of out air, you donate secondary

:eyebrow:

lamont:
You mean besides the fact that he plucked a post of mine completely out of context and used it to slander myself and everyone else who dives DIR? That's "covering everything well"? That the meat of his argument, that wasn't based on poor quoting, seemed to be about the rules in the DIR forum without understanding why those rules are there or where they come from? I'm certain I could do better than that if I tried...

As an answer to why there is a prejudice I think he stated reasons. Reasons for a prejudice need not necessarily be right. That is why it is called a prejudice. He states that the rules in the DIR forum are a reson for the prejudice.
His answer is his opinion of the "reasons" for the prejudice.
He specifically states that he is not talking about the poster and only about the topic.

H2Andy:
buddy 1 runs out of air, you donate primary

buddy 2 runs of out air, you donate secondary

:eyebrow:

Since we've thrown 'realistic' out of the window.....In that unlikely scenario, I'd say that Buddy 1 and 2 can share. It would sure work a lot better than buddy breathing off a hose bungeed around my neck. :D

I think I might consider shutting down my isolator in that circumstance, too...ya know, don't want those shmucks stealing all *my* gas, too. :wink:

Soggy:
The only situation that comes to mind is one where the OOA diver wanted to go to the surface and drag you with him. With a shorter hose he can get away and you can always reach his dump valves.

Sorry to bring the issue up, we're getting a little off topic.

Soggy:
I don't understand the scenario.
I think it relates back to all of his friends being idiots ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom