Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I always dive with a long hose in Cozumel. What is someone goes OOA in Devil's Throat? :maniac:

Not been there, but my intuition tells me its a 'tube'? (throat=tube?)

In that case signal buddy and show cut. Buddy donates, you change position if needed and call the dive. At a high level... depending on the actual scenario, there may be variances....

NWGratefulDiver:
I love Carlin ... wish I had half of his wit and a tenth of his bank account ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Remember me if you find that 1 tenth.

As for the long hose, I never dive anything else and it's always 7 feet. When diving a single I use H valves and the extra hose length goes in the waist strap. Sure I could use a 5 foot, but I hate to change hoses out...dont like touching the gear more than I have too

Soggy:
That is one moral. You missed all the rest of them:

Put your backup regulator where you can easily get to it

Put the regulator you donate where you don't have to fish for it. (Like my neck, I can almost always find my mouth).

put your regulators where they cannot be accidentally deployed and drag in the muck

put the regulator in a place where it is easily accessible from a horizontal position (i.e. your mouth)

use gear and procedures that are consistent and work in all environments so you don't ever have to ask yourself, "what regulator do I donate today?" and don't have to relearn something when you want to move forward in your diving.

Excellent rules. Is it your contention that only DIR meets these rules?

Soggy:
Make sure that, when you test your 2nd regulator that it can be restowed the way it is meant to be stowed. I've yet to see someone who can easily get their octo back in that stupid octo-holder thingy underwater with gloves on without help.

Speak for yourself. I can and do restow it the way I have been taught to by my certifying agency and instructor all the time and the holder I use is not "stupid". I guess this is the attitude that is being spoken about here.

cerich:
That nutshells the current situation. I've been on a boat with clients (dealers) in normal open water gear and have had some "DIR" divers decide to point out everything wrong with our gear. Upon further investigation of the 4 one has passed fundies, one hadn't yet taken fundies and the other two were provisional.

Funny thing is when I showed them my GUE cave 1 card it then became "You know better, yet will dive all that unsafe gear?" We are talking about a 60 ft reef dive here, all of us instructors for over a decade and in the industry (which we explained) yet they couldn't/wouldn't admit that we could do so safely in non DIR gear.

They are morons and exactly the type that gives DIR divers a bad name.

Exactly! I dive alone, and always with a pony. Twice I have had some macho DIR dude tell me I did not not what I was doing. I responded by asking them how many dives did they have under their belt, in both cases it was less than 150. I simply responded that I have 0ver 4000 most of which were done solo and I am still alive.

to sum it up, DIR gets it bad reputation from just these type of people, folks that have lots of gear, little experiance and a do it my way or no way attitude.

Meng_Tze:
Not been there, but my intuition tells me its a 'tube'? (throat=tube?)

It's a cavern which has a tight restriction which looks like a tonsil. When you approach it, it looks like a throat. You need a long hose for that dive. Many other swimthoughs in Cozumel which makes a long hose sensible.

Matsya:
Excellent rules. Is it your contention that only DIR meets these rules?

It is my experience that only the long hose and bungeed backup meet those rules. Perhaps there is some other configuration out there that fits them, but I am not aware of any. If there were, I'm sure technical and cave divers would adopt it in a heartbeat.

Speak for yourself. I can and do restow it the way I have been taught to by my certifying agency and instructor all the time and the holder I use is not "stupid". I guess this is the attitude that is being spoken about here.

I apologize for calling your octo holder stupid.

I do see from your profile that you dive in warm water with thin exposure protection. Try restowing with drygloves, you might have a different experience (hence the "all environments" comment). Even if you can do that, I challenge anyone to restow as quickly as one can restow a long hose.

TheRedHead:
It's a cavern which has a tight restriction which looks like a tonsil. When you approach it, it looks like a throat. You need a long hose for that dive. Many other swimthoughs in Cozumel which makes a long hose sensible.

Thanks for the clarification.

PS I 'need' a long hose for all my dives....... whether someone else (outside of my buddy) agrees or not is irrelevant to me. Oh... is that an arrogant statement?

Back
Top Bottom