Why use aluminum doubles for ocean diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
...for dives in the 130-200' range that you can't get thirds with rock bottom backed out in AL80 doubles? Are you slinging more 80s or diving large steels?

200 is my dividing line. Above that I wear 80s, below I wear 104s. I have a set of 95s coming for the mid-range.

I adjust my BT so my gas works out.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...

200 is my dividing line. Above that I wear 80s, below I wear 104s. I have a set of 95s coming for the mid-range.

I adjust my BT so my gas works out.

WW
That makes sense...we were playing with it and if we shorted BT to 20 or 25 minutes (or do more multilevel stuff) we can make it work.

Thanks, WW

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
BTW.... for those who need this kind of assurance... Andrew G. dives double steels with a drysuit in the ocean as do most other DIR divers he has trained here in the PNW.
I discussed this with Andrew recently and I am 95% sure he said he was in favor of using stages over steels, as were other GUE instructors. I know that Tech 2 teaches stage diving, and I believe that it is not just as a supplement to steels. A couple of them mentioned having backgas that they haven't used in years because they only breathe the stages.

And also, you are better off to do multiple dives in the range being discussed here than to do a long BT and major deco. Shorter deco is much safer for obvious reasons.

Munin once bubbled...

I discussed this with Andrew recently and I am 95% sure he said he was in favor of using stages over steels, as were other GUE instructors. I know that Tech 2 teaches stage diving, and I believe that it is not just as a supplement to steels. Several people mentioned having backgas that they haven't used in years because they only breathe the stages.

And also, you are better off to do multiple dives in the range being discussed here than to do a long BT and major deco. Shorter deco is much safer for obvious reasons.
...but I could have sworn they were all wearing steels on the Brittanic dives... Come to think of it, I could have sworn I saw a couple of jon lines too..

O-ring once bubbled...

...but I could have sworn they were all wearing steels on the Brittanic dives... Come to think of it, I could have sworn I saw a couple of jon lines too..

I know, it surprised me as well. They were wearing steels on the Brittanic.

I know that some guys will dive the stages and use the back gas as a way to save on bringing extra tanks for a long (3 day) boat trip. I think the Britannic divers were on a deco station because they were in the shipping lanes.

Eric:)

O-ring once bubbled...

So because George had an opinion on it, it automatically gets dismissed because George is who he is...IMHO, that's not the most intelligent position, but you do whatever you want.

You're usually more astute than this.

I said I take George's opinion and knowledge and APPLY it to a decision I make MYSELF. I agree wholeheartedly with not diving steel doubles wet, however, I think the bit about diving alum doubles in the ocean is stupid.

It would help, granted, if you had Georges's money and could buy a set of tanks for each day of the week.

MechDiver once bubbled...

You're usually more astute than this.

I said I take George's opinion and knowledge and APPLY it to a decision I make MYSELF. I agree wholeheartedly with not diving steel doubles wet, however, I think the bit about diving alum doubles in the ocean is stupid.

It would help, granted, if you had Georges's money and could buy a set of tanks for each day of the week.
...but go ahead and revise what you thought you said before...I didn't get any of this information out of your last post...only something about "needing George's permission".

O-ring once bubbled...

...but go ahead and revise what you thought you said before...I didn't get any of this information out of your last post...only something about "needing George's permission".

MechDiver once bubbled...
You are the victor.. Can I have a set of 95s as a consolation prize though? :wink: I ain't buying into this AL tank thing either..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom