Wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, I played with my new camcorder the other day in the Avalon Dive Park on Catalina Island. Takes very nice video, but I want to add a wide angle lens. It's a JVC with 27mm threads and an Ikelite housing. Do I want to replace the Ikelite dome port with a wide angle, or get a lens for the camera itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xSandman3:
Ok, I played with my new camcorder the other day in the Avalon Dive Park on Catalina Island. Takes very nice video, but I want to add a wide angle lens. It's a JVC with 27mm threads and an Ikelite housing. Do I want to replace the Ikelite dome port with a wide angle, or get a lens for the camera itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The wide angle lens will not cost that much. A good Century Optics sells for just under $100 and cheap ones for even less. The lens would be usable above water too while the Ielite port is only for use underwater.

I like the wide angle lens for shooting on land. It has a "look" many others also like. To many people stand way back from the action and use the zoom to get close. All you get is a flat looking video and lots of camera shake. I guess what I'm saying is that even if you go with the Ikelite port the money spent on the wide angle lens is not wasted.

I would agree with ChrisA, Get the WA Lens as it can be used both in and out of the water and provides a much better quality of video than using the zoom and getting farther away from your subject.

Mike...

I recently bought a wide angle lens adapter for mine (0.5X), but haven't had opportunity to get it 'wet' yet. I attended a photo clinic last month and while it was primarily concerned with still photography, the people doing the course basically recommned wide angle for anything except macro work.
Mine's an Optex brand (37mm) no adapter ring required for my camcorder. Best of all, unlike a couple of other makes I tried at Henry's (took the camcorder along) that required adapters, I can still zoom in. So I get my wide angle, which greatly increases my field of view and can still zoom in if necessary for a macro subject. The 2 models I tried at Henry's would not focus if I zoomed in. So if possible, you may want to try before you buy.

Thanks to all for responding. I did get a Century Optics W/A, haven't been able to get it wet yet since the beaches in SoCal are completely trashed thanks to the rain. I have used it on land, and yeah, it seems to add more depth than normal.

xSandman3:
Thanks to all for responding. I did get a Century Optics W/A, haven't been able to get it wet yet since the beaches in SoCal are completely trashed thanks to the rain. I have used it on land, and yeah, it seems to add more depth than normal.

I purchased a wide angle lense (WAL) for my Sony digital camcorder. Can I use this inside a housing instead of buying an external one for the housing? Does it matter if it is flat or dome glass on the housing?

Mine fits fine inside the housing, which has a dome port. With this setup, I can still use the red filter on the dome port.

Can I use a wide angle lense mounted on my camcorder inside a housing w/ a flat peice of glass?

I don't know...is there a camera shop around that you can try it and see in? I would think that if it works on land, it oughta work underwater.

Back
Top Bottom