Wide Angle or just Macro Photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brownmola

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, first of all, thank you to everyone on this board. I just booked my tickets to dive in Indonesia (been wanting to for 4 years now), without all of your posts, advice, and reports, I probably would have never thought about going. Very excited. :D

I am going to Bankga and Lembeh. I have a DSLR setup with everything I need for Macro photography. Based on where I am going, will I want to take wide angle photographs or just macro? I know Lembeh is primarily a macro shoot, how about Bankga? The reason I am asking is because I will need to spend a lot of money on getting some equipment for wide angle if I want to take those kind of pictures.

Thanks!

hi,
Bangka is mostly macro too although ther are several sites like Sahaung with good viz and excellent coral life where you can have a ball with a wide angle, Batu Mandi is not too bad either with lace like corals... I am sure you can have both decent macro and wide angle shots around the pillars of Paradise pier, for instance, this place is a dilemna.

but all in all, i would state that Bangka is more of a macro destination. You can check my Bangka/lembeh gallery here. Only dslr macro shots though :wink: hence if you're on budget, stick to macro and even super macro with a teleconverter.. on the coral Sahaung site you can still focus on pygmy seahorses.

We just returned from our first trip to Lembeh, and it is indeed a macro paradise. There was one site that I would have liked to have been able to take some wider shots, but the rest was (glorious) muck. I have not been to Bangka, but a quick search reveals it too is mostly macro. I think you will want some sort of fish portrait lens - I only had a 105mm or a 10-17 on our trip to choose from - in the mucky viz, something like a 69mm would have been great for larger subjects like mimic octopus.

Fwiw, Lembeh Dive Resort management told me that they are planning on offering "reef diving" in the near future - I believe on the outside coast of Lembeh Island. The channel is where the diving is now, and there is not much coral there, and viz was sploogey.

I hope this helps,

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom